Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2013 2 months away

Posted by stuffradio SW 8A BC (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 12:11

Anyone else excited? In two months, I will start growing Artichokes and Strawberries, followed by Broccoli, Cauliflower, etc. I'm really trying to find some sort of a low tunnel I can install outside so I can grow things weeks earlier than when I'm supposed to. Nothing too expensive, but nothing crappy either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2013 2 months away

I have already started my strawberries. I have one plant, one seedling, and I am trying to germinate more. They seem grow fine inside. A little leggy but healthy.

o

I have a few ideas I'd like to do in next season but I'll have to wait until then. I have the limited space so I need to wait to see if all or any of my perennial plants survives the winter before deciding on which plants to grow.

I definitely will grow my shelling peas in a few months. I'll be aiming for earlier date now I know they can handle colder temp than I thought.

All this strawberry talk! I got two strawberry plants from my mom as a gift last spring, and I ended up with five (actually more but I had to cut them back) due to them multiplying like the rabbits. I'll see if they survive the winter.

o

They should survive the winter. I had strawberry plants surviving the winter without any protection this year. Remember we had that deep freeze in January.

o

The crucial point in growing strawberries is in the spring, once the plants are growing and starting to bud. Then they may need protection against frost that can kill the buds and flowers.

o

Yes I did some research about the strawberries. According to it, in my zone, they can survive unprotected in the containers.

I was born in 2b zone then moved here. I remember that year so well because it snowed only once (during winter solstice, Dec 21 - I found it amusing) in an entire year! It felt so strange, not seeing snow in winter.

Afterwards I experienced cold winters (tons of blizzards. Fun time with several blackouts, brr) and warm winters. As stuffradio knows, we had a deep freeze back in Jan. I gave up trying to guess what our winter will bring.

But yes, my mom's strawberry gifts did endure that freeze and did just fine so I'm expecting them to survive this winter too. I'll keep that buds info in mind next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here