Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damping off

Posted by mtgs 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 12:12

Anyone have any tips on preventing damping off from occurring on beet seedlings when started indoors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damping off

Damp off on any seedlings is caused by excess moisture and inadequate air circulation in and around the plants. As such it really is fairly easy to prevent by avoiding over-watering (a chronic problem for many) and improving air circulation with fans.

It is discussed in great detail over on the Growing from Seed forum here (FAQ there too on it).

Dave

o

It also helps to use a soilless seed starting mix such as ProMix BX, which does not contain the damping off fungus.

Jim

o

Hydrogen peroxide will kill the fungus without hurting your plant, just pick up a spray bottle of the stuff from your local pharmacy (get the pharmacy grade 3%, not the 30% hair bleaching stuff).

Other than that, just pick up a small desk fan and set it to blow on the plants.

o

A method I used, and I read a retired professional say he had used it, is to take dry peat and sift it, use a common kitchen flour sifter, on the surface of the planting medium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here