Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HWhat should I do with my artichoke plants?

Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 13:00

I planted a number of artichoke plants this last summer, but I started late and the weather was cool so they didn't produce. However, they are very healthy, bushy, and dark green, and about 3-4' high. I live in the Pacific NW where the weather is rainy in winter, but usually above freezing. (We may have 10 days of below freezing nights, but it usually gets back above freezing the next day or two.) Can I mulch these and get them to re-grow next year? Should I cut off the foliage or not? Can I dig the roots up and save them? Any advice is appreciated....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HWhat should I do with my artichoke plants?

I had some of the globe variety for a couple of years. I ended up not liking the globe (round) artichokes, so I pulled them.I also got tons of ants and earwigs!
Anyway, once I planted them, I just let them be! They surprized me with fruit when I least expected it!
Unfortunately, the kind I got didn't have alot of "meat" to them, and the hassle of the ants and earwigs turned me off to growing them.
Good luck to you! NT

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 11:46

ninjabut- Thanks; that's encouraging.

Anyone else - Do you have similar experiences, or know if mulching would help or hurt?

o

I don't think mulching will hurt if your soil is well drained.. I'm just north of you in vancouver and I just mulched my beds (all of em) with leaves I collected from neighbors. I have onions continuing on through the winter, and i mulched them up a few inches.

On the other hand, if your soil is too moist or shaded you may end up in a rotting/molding situation that could encourage the plants to do the same.

o

Kudzu, I should think you'd have the perfect climate for growing artichokes. My goodness, Castroville, Ca is the artichoke capital and they should be in about same zone as you.

I've grown "Imperial Star" here in central Maryland. They did ok but I didn't care for their small size. I like big meaty artichokes. Imperial Star doesn't require as much chilling or vernalization as the perennial varieties.

I think you should mulch the plants with several inches of leaves or straw. I don't think you have to worry about them rotting or molding. I found the link below to be informative. A google search on "growing artichokes" will bring up plenty of good info also.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing artichokes

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 22:00

Thanks, everyone, for all the great info. I think I'm prepared now!

o

Leave them. I have a globe variety and mine fruit after winter. They usually take 2 years depending on when you plant them, to fruit. I thought mine had died over summer, but I left them, chopped them way down and now, they are huge. I'm expecting a great harvest after this winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here