Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonhughes_gw

Season Totals ...just in ;-)

jonhughes
12 years ago

Harvest Totals for Season: All was donated to the FoodBank.

Lettuce..........................282 lbs

Onions...........................666 lbs

Broccoli.........................105 lbs

Swiss Chard......................168 lbs

Spinach...........................18 lbs

Beets ............................24 lbs

Radishes..........................92 lbs

Garlic...........................256 lbs

Potatoes .........................79 lbs

Sweet Potatoes....................21 lbs

Sugar Snap Peas...................10 lbs

Carrots...........................25 lbs

Artichokes.........................3 lbs

Turnips............................7 lbs

Cucumbers.......................1080 lbs

Peppers..........................532 lbs

Squash..........................1222 lbs

Tomatoes........................3284 lbs (80 plants) and Hundreds of Pounds on Plants when Frost Hit ;-(

Butternuts.......................929 lbs

Melons...........................247 lbs

Bartlett Pears...................107 lbs

Grapes...........................18 lbs

Total Harvest for the season ............9173 lbs WOO HOO ;-)

(Does not include what was consumed by family and friends, just what was donated to the FoodBank).

{{gwi:15885}}

{{gwi:119009}}

{{gwi:110439}}

{{gwi:29805}}

{{gwi:23511}}

{{gwi:90900}}

{{gwi:23540}}

{{gwi:96461}}

{{gwi:119010}}

{{gwi:102400}}

{{gwi:119012}}

{{gwi:102351}}

{{gwi:23538}}

{{gwi:119015}}

{{gwi:119016}}

{{gwi:102393}}

{{gwi:23547}}

{{gwi:23548}}

{{gwi:23549}}

{{gwi:79997}}

{{gwi:26198}}

{{gwi:119017}}

{{gwi:79996}}

{{gwi:15445}}

{{gwi:110286}}

{{gwi:110292}}

{{gwi:110439}}

Comments (30)

• lgteacher
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Marvelous photos. All for a good cause. Too bad you're already married!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Good job!

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    12 years ago

Great job, Jon....a lot of outgo...4 and a half tons.

Where do you get your replacement material?

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Wayne,
    As the last picture shows, God is simply blessing me ;-)

{{gwi:119018}}

{{gwi:119019}}

{{gwi:119020}}

{{gwi:30777}}

{{gwi:30778}}

{{gwi:30780}}

• shebear
    12 years ago

What a great job! I've only given 1500 lbs. so far this year but there's still time for greens and cabbages this fall. I like growing food for other people as well as myself.

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow Shebear, That is totally awesome....Great Job, I am positive you are a true blessing to all those you serve, keep up the good work ;-)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

John,

Great harvest! All obtained from your raised beds? Around how many sq ft. of raised beds do you have?

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

wow. all I can say is wow.

• drippy
    12 years ago

I'll be watching for the how-to book, Jonhughes - bravo!

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Very nice... Really like how you have everything put together...looks neat and clean and simplified. I really need to move to beds like that...

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank You to all of you, very nice of you to say that ;-)

Hi nullzero, I have 1500 square feet of raised beds...

They are wonderful (I hate bending over for hours).

{{gwi:8597}}

{{gwi:62405}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Jon's Wonderful Garden 2011 (Watch all four)

• angiemomma4
    12 years ago

Hi John! (Waving over here in CA)
    I was just checking in here today feeling a little 'ooogy' because it's cold and raining and about to get even darker even earlier! Then I saw this and you made my day with all of the beautiful pictures.

I love that you do this---it gives me such a smile. For those of us who never get a veggie or a bunch of gorgeous grapes from you it's like we still receive, you know? You are an insiration to me. I didn't even come close this year as far as amounts go but I did give lots away to neighbors and family. Oh, and I have ducks. Do eggs count??? LOL...

Angie in Hollister, CA

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Angie,
    EGGS... YUMM
    My Favorite food ;-)
    As long as we all do our part (there really is no one who is insignificant), we will continue to bless others and by doing so, be blessed ourselves ;-)

"The man who is kind to the poor lends to God: he will repay him for what he has done." (Prov.19:17)

{{gwi:28490}}

• heather38
    12 years ago

proper amazing as always Jon, what I like and admire is you don't patronize people by giving them stuff you think they should have, but stuff that is lovely and possibly would cost them a fortune in a farmer market but quite rightly you understand that people in need, need respect, keep up the good work.

• heather38
    12 years ago

Oh I think I put that all wrong? but when I lived in the US I found lots of religious people but very few godly people, but many good people, but I found many godly people seemed to think those less fortunate should put up and shut up, as in they had been less christian as they should have been, therefore they deserved their fate.
    as far as I can see you say there but for the grace of god go I.

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate your kind words Heather, and I understood what you meant (both times) ;-)

But...Alas... I am no better than anyone else....

PS... I think people who don't extend Grace and Mercy to others... just don't realize... what goes around,comes around, and we all need as much grace as we can get.

• stuffradio
    12 years ago

It always helps when you are in a perfect climate for vegetables most of the year. :)

As always, I wish to be able to grow as much as you. I'll just have to work at it haha. Good work though!

• bouquet_kansas
    12 years ago

hello Jon.........well, this is just incredible!!!!!!!!
    been waiting to hear the total for the season.....
    i can tell that you have already received fruits of your labor....by the happiness in your voice(so to speak).
    Many thanks to you for the help you have given to those who are in need.......which could be anyone of us at any given time........
    carol

• teauteau
    12 years ago

Absolutely wonderful!

• heather38
    12 years ago

Indeed it does, :) it does, thanks.

• ceth_k
    12 years ago

the john and his almighty compose pile. Great job !

• springlift34
    12 years ago

I just spent 10 good minutes looking at your last picture. The most interesting feature is your eyes. Seems to be a light in there. And energy.

Take care,
    Travis

• bejay9_10
    12 years ago

Great pics. By the way, I tried hard to find insect damage somewhere - what's the secret? I'm also a firm believer in composting and have an old machine - called Kemp - which has been a real work horse through the years. Unfortunately - this past year, I've done more "computer gardening" than hard work gardening (will be 90 soon) and my old Kemp isn't getting as much of a work out.

Keep up the good work "Good Samaritan" - hmmm did I spell that right? Anyway, coming back down to earth again "what do you do to ward off insects?)

Bejay

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bejay,
    I use a Dewalt cordless vacuum to easily suck up and dispatch cucumber beetles and Squash bugs and Aphids get water blasted treatment, and slugs get cut in half with scissors, and are left in place to be a deterrent to other slugs who happen by ;-)

{{gwi:115495}}

• bejay9_10
    12 years ago

Thank you for your interesting postings. One more question, please - It looks as if you are using a black ABS (not PVC) hose for watering. How far apart do you space this tubing for overall saturation. Also - do you use easy off/on connectors to the hose?

I'm thinking of making a few automatic watering set-ups in a few of my planter boxes (have 9 in all) which are more or less all the same size (approx 3-4 ft wide x 8 ft. long). Not all of the boxes would be "endowed" but would like to have a removable set-up for placement wherever I plant tomatoes, as they seem to be more affected by overhead watering.

Great job your doing with those veggies.

Bejay

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bejay,
    I use 1/2" poly pipe around the perimeter and continue it to make a complete circle (square)so I don't lose any pressure anywhere on the grid and then run 6" o/c laser cut drip lines at 12" o/c in the field. Works great ;-)

Laser soaker line can only be run in lengths up to 15 feet,
    If intensive bed gardening is employed, the drip system should be set-up on a grid (as described above). If the bed is 4 feet wide, it will give complete coverage. A system set-up like this one does not need to be changed when planting changes.Laser soaker line, and porous pipe will give a continuous band of surface moisture, It should be remembered that, if you are planting seeds in your garden,this system alone will not adequately germinate the seeds unless supplemented with over-head watering. Once seedlings are established, overhead watering will not be necessary.

• bejay9_10
    12 years ago

OK - I understand the 1/2 inch poly pipe around the perimeter - but not familiar with how to attach drip lines to the pipe. Are there special connectors for this?

Or am I still not seeing this. Not familiar with laser cut drip lines - and/or water hose connections. Are these available at Home Depot, etc.

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bejay,
    Yes, Home Depot (and most other stores that have plumbing or landscape sections), carry these products, there are numerous manufacturers and lots to choose from ;-)

{{gwi:119024}}

{{gwi:119026}}

• ibarbidahl
    12 years ago

Amazing job again this year. You continue to be an inspiration and a blessing to all who's lives you touch. I am so glad that I've gotten to watch you grow and learn. Someday I hope to be able to give back a tenth of what you have given.

Barbie

• jolj
    12 years ago

Ye shall know them by their fruits, Matthew 7:16 .

At the end of the day the adult ants tell little ants stories about a man named Jon who worked all summer to put up food for the winter.