Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I want to grow some kale this winter, but is it too late? I have seedlings that just emerged indoor, when can I move them outside?

Also, is it too late to start brocollini, spinach, and carrot from seeds?

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

I don't have any info about your area. But I strongly suspect that the folks at your county's Extension Service do. Locate that office w/ the map at the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Locate your county's Extension Service office

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I don't know what your weather is like, but I planted some 6" plants of redbor kale into my veggie garden about mid-September and have been harvesting kale for 3 or 4 weeks. We had our first hard frost about the end of October.

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

Keep some growing for seeds.

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

My guess is that in your climate it's not too late for any of the things you mentioned above. Certainly worth the experiment, and keep notes for future years about what works the best.

The greens should work well -- give the kale a little more time before putting them out, so that they've got a little size to them before the elements hit them. You can put them outside in their pots to harden them off before transplanting.

Any kind of green should work for you -- either producing during the winter (though slowly because of less sun) or giving you a spring bonus as soon as the sunlight increases in the spring.

I can't advise on carrots, though I know there are some types that are meant to grow all winter and be spring harvest. Worth a try!

• NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you thank you!! I will harden them first before transplanting, thanks for the suggestion. This is my first year planting, I'm very very new and need a lot of help! ;-)

I sowed a few broccolini and spinach seeds, not expecting much, and then all of a sudden, seedlings were emerging, just right before another freeze. I covered them up, and they continued to grow. Hope they will grow up.

I'll put some carrot seeds down after I till my raised bed. Thank you guys!!

• garybeaumont_gw
    9 years ago

Carrots will take a while to come up. It could take a month or more in cold soils. The spring planting date for Beaumont, Texas is Jan. 15 to Feb. 15. Your planting date would be about 2 weeks later I would think (Feb 1 to March1). If you plant earlier the seeds will probably just sit there. I have have planted in the fall and they came up but the plants did not produce until early spring.

You would want to plant spinach on 2 to 3 week intervals to give you a continuous supply. Spinach seeding dates are about 2 weeks earlier than carrots.

A good reference for Texas vegetable gardeners is The Vegetable Book by Dr. Sam Cotner. You can buy it new on the Texas Gardener website for $34 which includes postage and tax. Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening is also good. You can get it used for about $4 from Abebooks.com. Make sure it is the second edition. It covers all aspects of Texas gardening, not just vegetables.