Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tishtoshnm

Potato questions

We were having an unusually warm fall so we left the potatoes in the ground as they would have just sprouted in the garage. Then, we were hit with that extreme cold. DH is digging some potatoes now for tomorrow's dinner. The ground is of course quite cold. How do I tell if the potatoes themselves froze too much to be usable?

A couple of spuds (Yukon Gem, I think) have a pink spot near the surface of the skin. Any idea what this is or if it is safe? I will of course cut that spot out. The rest of the spud seems firm and this pink spot seems to be rather superficial.

Comments (5)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, a search revealed a description of Yukon gem with pink spots around the eyes so that is one question resolved. I guess that just leaves the question of the freeze.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

You can see the damaged flesh when you cut them - it's usually pretty obvious - darkened, or crystallized or toehrwise strange looking. Sometimes they look ok but have a rubbery texture after cooking - they don't cook right.

• little_minnie
    9 years ago

The potatoes should be fine as the ground was warm.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Once the potatoes closest to the surface warmed some, many were definitely on the mushy side so those are compost now. Thank you for the help. I am looking forward to eating some of the good ones in rendered duck fat. Simple pleasures.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

When a potato freezes and then thawed it will be quite mushy. Because the starch in it is decomposed due to enzyme activity. That is the reason for blanching vegetable prior to freezing to prevent getting mushy after it is thawed. It is easy to tell. Sometimes half of a potato near the surface might freeze but lower half is ok. Just cut off and discard the frozen/mushy part.

Seysonn