Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broccoli question

Posted by lexiegurl NC 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 16:01

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. I live in an area where we do not get very many nights with lows in the low 20's but we are tomorrow night (it looks like we are going to have a cold winter lol). It is supposed to get down to like 23 tomorrow night. I have broccoli plants with heads starting, they are small right now about the size of a 50 cent piece or smaller. I was wondering if temps this low would damage the head? I know the plant will be ok, but will the head be? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broccoli question

Close but they should be ok. I have gotten leaf damage at 22 degrees but not head damage. Frosted Broccoli photo frostedbroccoli.jpg

o

Should they be covered? If so, plastic or remay?

This post was edited by MickEmery on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 23:44

o

Our very first freeze was two weeks ago. It went down to 23. My broccoli leaves (uncovered) were burned, but the plants made it. Heads were not damaged. I did, however, put row cover over them after that. I really want them to make it all winter. I like the side shoots even better than the big heads. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. It just doesn't take much time to cover them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here