Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Klondike Watermelon

Posted by wayne_5 b IN (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 16:31

I am now eating a late harvested Klondike Striped Blue Ribbon watermelon...harvested in late October. I am reminded again why I like this old heirloom......it's the flavor...one of the very best I have eaten and I have eaten dozens of varieties.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Klondike Watermelon

It is a good melon but I definitely would no go that far. As a 1939 intro it is better than many of the older varieties, but taste wise can't compare to the the 1960's
Crimson Sweet and allsweet developed by Hall at Kansas State.
Klondike Klondike

o

farmer, I have raised Allsweet and Crimson sweet and they are fairly good. I stick by my assessment. Probably not all Klondikes are in the class of unique taste, but I seem to get some that are. Where I am I especially get some super tasters with Raspa. I would agree that it takes the right conditions as melons are a unique work of art to get the A+ and A++ fruits.

o

Where did you purchase your seeds for the Klondike Striped Blue Ribbon watermelon? What varity? The Klondike Watermelon seeds I purchased this year 2012 weren't the quality of watermelons I got in 2009.

o

I got the seeds from Baker Creek. I grant you that some of their watermelon seeds can vary in quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here