Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

When to Order Vegetable Seeds?

1. When the new seeds are available?
2. When do we have the largest selections?
3. Any seller incentive or discount early on? or in late season?

I need to order peas, bean, okra, brussel sprout, edamame, sunflower, and strawberry and asparagus crowns.

Comments (16)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

I ordered seeds today immediately after reading your post. Keep in mind we have a different sort of season here, so I will be starting seeds (outdoors under glass) in four to five weeks. Before Christmas!

What I run into when I wait like this is a whole slew of stuff being marked "sold out". That's actually OK; makes choices simpler.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I order shortly after the new catalog(s) arrive and after the website(s) update. That way I can see what's new and/or what's not available.

Rodney

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

I like to order about Christmas. If you order like now, some companies do not have a supply of some things in their hurry to get a catalog out. Also, is it possible that extra early orders get some last year seeds?

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

If I order now, would I get seeds that were packaged for the 2014 season or the 2015 season?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Most likely 2014. 2015 seeds are normally tested and released in December. In only a few cases (seeds with short shelf life like onions) does it make a big difference.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Well, I will probably have leftovers of most seeds for the following year, so I prefer to get the fresh ones.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Well, I will probably have leftovers of most seeds for the following year, so I prefer to get the fresh ones.

With a couple of exceptions like onions that is a waste of money and seeds. Most all vegetable seeds are good for many years if properly stored (dry and away from heat). Besides seeds "packaged for 2015" weren't necessarily produced in 2014. Vendors package annually but they use seeds from several years production to do it.

This information is discussed in more detail in many discussions here.

As for when to buy, it varies from vendor to vendor as to when is the "best" time. Sales/markdowns can be of benefit as can offers of free shipping. Otherwise it makes little difference when you buy them.

Why would you want strawberry seeds rather than plants?

Dave

• glib
    9 years ago

My seeds stay in the freezer and are very fresh. Even onions (or parsnip or parsley) last decades. This year I grew some Savoy cabbages from a 2000 packet. One of the advantages of using a freezer is that you can buy ounce quantities which are cheaper.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Besides seeds "packaged for 2015" weren't necessarily produced in 2014. Vendors package annually but they use seeds from several years production to do it.

If the packaged for 2014 seeds may have been from even earlier, that means they are more likely to have issues. I don't want to be using 2012 season seeds in 2016. Personally, I'll stick with buying seeds I need from the current packaging year. Gardening is a huge time and energy investment I don't want to start with something other than the best I can get just to save a couple dollars.

• glib
    9 years ago

Digdirt (Dave) just told you you will be using 2012 seeds in 2016, as vendors mix. And mix they do, they want to limit their business exposure to weather. But I can guarantee that they keep their old seeds in freezers, so they are fresh. The world has even established a huge seed bank in the Svalbard islands near the North Pole. They will last hundreds of years in permafrost.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Below is a link to go along with what Dave and glib have said. Seed companies do re-use previous years seed but they also test germination rate to make sure they're up to, or above, par.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside the Seed Business

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Yes, I understand, I am still going to buy the freshest mix of seeds, and not go out of my way to buy last year's packaging.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I am still going to buy the freshest mix of seeds, and not go out of my way to buy last year's packaging.

Your choice of course as long as you (and other readers) understand that it sure isn't necessary. As any experienced gardener can tell you the only benefit you might gain is a slim marginal increase in germination rates. Something like 9 out of 10 seeds will germinate rather than 10 out of 10.

If the packaged for 2014 seeds may have been from even earlier, that means they are more likely to have issues.

Just what sort of "issues" do you mean? The only issue seeds have is germination.

Dave

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Well, yes there is germination, but I would imagine that seedling vigor may be less, as this is determined by the nutrients in the seeds, which may degrade over time, though obviously I am no expert on seeds. If you disagree on this I would be curious to see your evidence.

I am not really seeing much in the way of sales at the moment anyway either... save a few dollars on an entire order, not really worthwhile, I don't even know for sure yet what I want to plant next year.

This post was edited by Peter1142 on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 12:54

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

One of those facts I always find fascinating on archaelogical digs when they find sees that are thousands of years old that still germinate. Seems like there was a particular bean found here in the southwest that way. I find it somewhat less fascinating when I am dealing with puncture vine seeds though.

It is a piece of information that I keep in mind when evaluating the age of seeds. I have tomato seeds from 10 years ago that have done just fine. If I am being honest, most of the problems with germination and vigor of my seedlings are traceable to the gardener. :(

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

most of the problems with germination and vigor of my seedlings are traceable to the gardener.

Excellent point! We'd all like to be able to blame failures on the seeds or the variety or the seed vendor or the soil or the weather or ...etc when in fact 90% of the time the blame for failure lies on us, the gardeners.

Farmers and gardeners have been successfully growing crops from saved seed multiple-seasons old for centuries. And if the crop quality wasn't high then all the effort and $$ that goes into all the international seed banks, seed harvesting, and seed storage is wasted effort and we are all in trouble.

Once a seed germinates its subsequent "vigor" as a seedling and then a plant is the responsibility of the gardener and the growing conditions we provide, not the age of the seed. Any and all nutrients contained in even the perfect seed coating are quickly used up by the cotyledon stage.

As I said, it is your choice and I'm sure the seed companies would like all of us to share your belief. But the truth is that the primary reason most experienced gardeners spend any money on buying new seeds each year is just to try a few new varieties or to replace hybrid seeds that we have used up over the years.

Personally, like others who have posted, over the past 50 years of gardening I have used 5-10 year old seeds for many crops including tomatoes, melons, cole crops, peppers, corn, and leafy greens with no issues with crop vigor. Some are stored in the freezer but most are just stored in an old fridge in the basement.

Dave