Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing carrots that are sweet?

Posted by gardeningmomof5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 17:35

I grew carrots this year, and the size was good. But they were not very sweet despite claims on the seed packet. Are there any carrots that are much sweeter than others, and is there a growing condition that makes for sweeter carrots? This year I dug out a long trench and filled with a mixture of wood ashes, peat moss, compost, and packaged soil to keep the trench "clot-free". They were all pretty straight and long, but lacked any good flavor (although not bitter).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing carrots that are sweet?

Don't they sweeten as the temps drop? My carrots weren't great either, and i grew several different varieties. I did pick them a lot earlier then i usually do.

o

It might be a good idea to let us know which kind you grew, so others ca learn from your experience and give you feedback.

o

Carrotts will be much sweeter if grown in cooler weather.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 8:28

I prefer fall carrots (planted in late Aug here) as they are sweeter and lack the "earthly" taste of summer carrots. Fall carrots can also be left in the ground for a longer harvest. "Touchon" variety is the sweetest I have found to date. I planted 5 other varieties this fall for comparison.

o

• Posted by peggy_g Melbourne,Fl Z9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 20:04

I grew Sweet Treat hybrid Fordhook carrot from Burpee and they were excellent. Even found a note in my journal to buy more of this seed. Sweetness II was also good. Too much N can make them taste bitter.

o

I grew Nantes and Danvers carrots. They're shorter, blunter varieties that have done well in my clay soil. The ones I planted in September are mature now and are nice and sweet. They were even sweeter when young.

o

Ripening in cool weather certainly improves the flavor. I've heard that the smaller, early-maturing carrots are better for summer harvests (spring planting). I've gotten decent flavor in summer from Mokum and Kinko. For fall/winter harvest I usually plant larger varieties like Bolero.

I recently read that sightly acidic soils improve the taste of carrots. That might explain why NYgardener had good tasting carrots (even when young) from clay soil. It would also explain why my carrots tasted better when my acidic-soil garden was new, and why after years of adding ash and lime to the garden, the carrot flavor is good but not fabulous. Can anyone else verify whether there is a relationship between acidic soils and carrot flavor?

o

I grew Danvers in raised beds. I think I planted them mid June. I harvested a bunch around Labor Day and they tasted like wood. I left the rest in the ground until we had a few chilly nights and they tasted wonderful!

I'd love to grow an early crop of sweet carrots.

faithling, Where did you get Mokum & Kinko seeds? Here in VT or through a catalog?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here