Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peanuts and tepary beans?

Posted by tracydr 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 18:10

Thinking about growing peanuts and tepary beans next summer. Wondering if either are worth it in limited amount of space? I understand both do well in my hot climate. I've usually stuck with pole beans due to lited area but would really like to try peanuts and teparies should do very well in one of my less improved areas. However, I have no idea what yield will be and don't know if either will be worth the space.
I could also grow pole cowpeas or yardlongs on a trellis, perhaps with heat tolerant squash or melons underneath, instead.
The area that I would put the teparies is flood irrigated every two weeks during hot months, which I understand is how teparies are usually grown.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peanuts and tepary beans?

I grow peanuts every year, but only for boiling. I would not grow peanuts if my intentions were to grow them for roasting. I've never weighed or measured production but generally each plant will produce a handful or two of boilable sized peanuts.

Yardlong beans on a 7 ft high trellis have done very well for me. These have proven to be a very productive use of space. Like peanuts, they do love the heat.

You may want to also consider okra as this is another heat loving vegetable.

This post was edited by grandad on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 9:18

o

Actually, I was planning on boiled peanuts. I've only had them once, in New Orleans and loved them.
I grow yardlongs each summer, as well as cowpeas and some okra, although nobody eats the okra except for me and my parents. This summer, I plan to grow more okra so that I have a big batch to put up or pickle at one time. Generally, I've had just a few pods to pick at one time so that they'd all end up going to wast. Im growing red okra this summer so that theyre prettier, too.
The teparies, I want to plant where hardly anything else will grow, although I guess okra and cowpeas would grow there.
I plant Armenian cucumbers in a shady spot and they go gangbusters in the shade!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here