Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sckitchen_gardener_8

Fall garden photos and plan

I finally got caught up enough with weeds to take time to build a blog of my current fall garden. Enjoy. Much advice is sought and found here at this site. So thanks.

www.alsterkitchengarden.com

Comments (9)

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I'll make it a direct link

Here is a link that might be useful: gardener blog

• cheapheap
    14 years ago

I really like it - especially the drawings. How big is the garden?

• kbhale
    14 years ago

Awesome dog.
    Great planning pix of the garden.
    Think. I'll use it.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

&hearts&hearts&hearts the drawing; very inspirational!

• bella_trix
    14 years ago

Great design/drawing! Are you using a Wacom Tablet? I bought one for my now-ex-boyfriend and used it for a while for my garden design. I'd forgotten about it until I saw your drawing. Maybe I should get a tablet for myself!

Bellatrix

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

A couple things.
    1 - there is a trellis with spinach under it. Seems a better place for peas (which are absent).
    2 - try adding fava beans and definitely garlic.

• sckitchen_gardener_8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ruthie_g: thanks for helping to get the link posted right.
    cheapheap: The garden is about 28' x 26'. I included a plan with a grid showing dimensions in the link below. I use the grid locations on the plan to help me locate where the seeds go. So, while its a pretty plan, its also functional.

Thanks for the kind words on the drawing. I do use a tiny Wacom tablet, called a Bamboo. I have the smallest size. You really don't need a big one.

promethan spark: Yes, there is a trellis with spinach under it (I am not waiting for the spinach to climb the trellis, but I would like for my spinach to grow a little more). I might put some peas there. The trellis is left over from the summer garden (which I fully documented and hope to add to my blog as time permits this winter). I am trying to practice some crop rotation, and put the spinach there.

Here is a link that might be useful: the garden plan with a grid overlay

• mauirose
    14 years ago

i have never heard of a graphics tablet before, what a great little toy. The things i learn on GardenWeb!

Your drawings are very charming and seem very practical as well. Thanks for sharing.

• sckitchen_gardener_8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would like to point out that some of the Wacom tablets come bundled with drawing software. Adobe Elements is sometimes included in the bundle. Elements is extremely capable and features layers, which makes it easy to change your mind a lot, move things around without disturbing the whole image, or make them visible/invisible as needed. The tablet and the Elements software should be around $60 or so. I am not against sharing some of my artwork to help get you started either. If there is interest, I can post a "starter file" so you can start playing right away. For those winter armchair gardeners in more hostile zones, this is a good way to get in some cold weather virtual gardening. You don't need the tablet either to move things around on the layers, just a mouse. But you will need a software program that can open and handle a psd file.