Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is Shoepeg corn?

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 20:30

I have a favorite recipe that calls for this. I can use plain sweet corn, but it changes the taste of the soup. Grocery stores have reduced so much inventory this past year that I can no longer find shoepeg. Today, I spotted a bag of frozen white corn that looks just like the shoepeg I used to buy. Is it the same thing? Anyone grow this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is Shoepeg corn?

Shoepeg is an old name for the open pollinated white sweet corn, today sold mostly as Country Gentleman. It is still used commercially for creamed corn.

o

Thanks so much, farmerdilla! You are just a wealth of information on this forum. In what part of the country do you live? I am curious about your pea pictures on another thread. Did you plant these in the fall?

o

Hill billy from Virginia, been here in Georgia for the past 15 years. Peas (Vigna unguiculata) I plant from late April til early July. English peas (late November - early December)and mid winter ( February).

o

I think the dent(field) variety Pencil Cob was also sometimes called shoe-peg. It certainly has that shape of kernel.

o

Not that I buy any canned veggies to speak of, but I was at a Kroger store the other day, and a can of Freshlike brand White Shoepeg corn caught my eye. I know Freshlike is Dean Foods, based I believe in Wisconsin, so I don't know if it's available in all areas of the country.

o

I always thought that it was because of it's distinctive shape.

o

farmerdilla, I am a hillbilly too! I graduated from High School in Kingsport, Tennessee, which sprawls over into southwest Virginia. Thanks for your response, I do believe I will try some sugarsnaps next fall (early spring too).

o

donna. I know the area fairly well, used to stay in Kingsport, when I worked Gate City. loved to drive up route 23, and then head over the mountain to Jonesville on 58. always tried to spend a couple of hours at the Natural Tunnel. You might want to use the snap peas for spring rather than late fall. I only use the smooth seeded cultivars for late fall. Folks in Southwest Virginia, grew antique varieties long after they had lost favor in most of the country. I bet there are still quite a few folks growing Shoepeg/Country Gentleman. Howling Mob is in the same category, but I never knew anyone who grew it. At some of the craft shows, you might even find a cobbler who uses shoe pegs.

o

It is my understanding that it is called shoepeg because the kernels don't line up in rows like standard corn.

o

It's called shoe peg because at one time pegs were used in the construction of shoes. These pegs were used in the sole of the shoe. Shoepeg corn gets it's name from the resemblence of the individual kernels to shoepegs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here