Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jack103_gw

Get rid of morning glorys

jack103
12 years ago

Made the mistake of planting morning glories in my veggie garden about three years ago,now this year I was overrun they covered all my plants How do I get rid of these plants?

Comments (17)

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

I had morning glories popping up all over the lawn this year including in one of my raised beds. The bush beans I had planted already luckily out grew the vines and apparently either smothered them out or too much competition.

• stuffradio
    12 years ago

We have something we call morning glory, but it's a bindweed. I take it you aren't talking about that one... because I'd call you silly to have planted it. The way I control it is to just keep weeding when you see weeds growing, but I think they're just going elsewhere.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

If they are morning glories and not bindweed, they will die the first time you pull up the roots.

• jack103
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes I made the mistake of planting a package of Morning Glory Seeds along a back boarder in my garden and they come back year after year then when I leave to go on vacation they overwhelm the rest of the garden,

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Whatever you do, don't let them go to seed.

• jack103
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Too late for that now.Is there a weed killer I can apply to the dormant garden now That wont hurt me in the spring?

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    12 years ago

I have a few morning glories that show up on one end of the garden and are across the fence in the field too. I just pull them up.

If they are over-running everything, they have not been dealt with well in the past.

• skeip
    12 years ago

Since morning glories come from seed, a preemergent herbicide might work. BUT, be careful of the residual effects, it could prevent the seeds you want to germinate from germinating also, like beans, carrots, etc. I think dedicated weeding is probably the best answer, oh and a good layer of mulch might also help.

Steve

• cygnwulf
    12 years ago

IF you start all of your veggies elsewhere and transplant, you could look in to something that prevents weed seed germination like the previously mentioned pre-emergent. I haven't seen much on the effects of corn gluten but it supposedly suppresses germination. But yeah, morning glories really aren't that hard to get rid of if you can prevent them from blooming.
    Or plant Perrywinkle. That actually out-competed it and crowded it out at my old place. Can't say it'd do much for your veggies, though

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    12 years ago

Remove all the pods you can this fall and throw them into the trash....not the compost. That can cut down significantly on the "volunteers" next spring and perhaps let you win the battle in 2012. I pulled down all the vines and pods I could see over the last week and burned them...only garden debris I've burned in years, but I didn't want those seeds dropping over the winter or surviving composting. I'm hoping next year's crop of MGs will be much smaller. They do pull easily, but when hundreds of new ones sprout every week for a few months it gets to be a real bother.

• bella_trix
    12 years ago

I made the same (huge) mistake five years ago. I thought the purple morning glories would look pretty with my beans. I have been able to reduce them, but not eliminate them. I pull them when they sprout and try not to let them go to seed, but by the end of the season some do. Be vigilant. And, as another poster said, put the vines in the garbage not the compost. One thing that helped me was to put down a cloth under the vines I was pulling off. That kept the seeds from hitting the ground and I could throw them out, too.

Good luck.
    Bellatrix.

• fleemo17
    12 years ago

We too made the mistake of purposely planting morning glories about a decade ago. After a few seasons, they were taking over our vegetable beds so we yanked 'em. Years later, we're still fighting the battle. Seedlings pop up by the hundred, years after the parent plants were pulled. We're starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, with fewer seedlings every season, but it will take several more seasons of vigilantly pulling the seedlings as they occur to eradicate them from our garden. Luckily, our four-year-old makes a game out of pulling them when he sees them emerge. :)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

They will never go away...... My garden is 40+ years old, never had them planted there, unless the previous owner planted them.

I dig, pull, and watch closely every year. They still come up! When I went on vacation last summer, I spent the week before making sure there were no weeds in the garden.

When I came home 10 days later, MG's everywhere!

• gargwarb
    12 years ago

When I came home 10 days later, MG's everywhere!

Why were there master gardeners all over your yard? Did you post a meeting flyer or something?

• gunnersm8
    12 years ago

LOL! thats hilarious.

• lgteacher
    12 years ago

If you have the kind with the large purple flowers, you have to dig it out. The vines root where they touch the ground, and the grow incredibly fast.

I like the joke. I just started MG training.

Here is a link that might be useful: Battle Morning Glory

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Yep gargwarb, I had "Webbie Debbie" Hayes, Rowland Alston, Sean Flynn, Amanda McNulty and Tony Melton. Wandering around my garden! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Making it grow on ETV

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm