Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashfarm_gw

Garden rows

ashfarm
10 years ago

Hi everybody. I have a question I'm starting some of my prep work for my garden next year and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I wanna know how long of a row would I need to plant 16 tomato plants total grape,pear,cherry and beefsteak 16 okra 16 bush type squash and beans mixed greens beets radishes and cucumbers. I was thinking a 30ft row would be ok or would I need longer rows?

Comments (5)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Tomatoes, 16 plants, 2 feet apart equals 32 feet. 3 to 4 feet between rows

Okra, 16 feet, 1 foot apart equals 16 feet 3 to 4 feet between rows

Bush type squash(Zucchini or something like winter squash?) minimum of 16 feet for zucchini, but that would be packing it in. 3 to 4 feet between rows

Cucumbers 1 foot apart minimum, 3 to 4 feet between rows

Beans, Mixed greens, beets, radishes, We transplant lettuce 8 to 12 inches apart and direct seed the beans, beets and radishes with our earthway planter, so how ever long of a row you wanted. I would plant the beets and radishes in a bed, with 3 or 4 rows a 8 to 12 inches apart or so.

If you want to plant all of this in one 30 foot row, it would be a complete failure and a jungle.

Jay

• ashfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wrote that kinda wrong I ment to say 1 30ft row for each type of veggie 1 30ft row for 4 different types of tomato 1 for summer squash and one for winter and so on was planning on transplanting every thing I don't have much luck starting seeds outside.I want it to look even so I'm just gonna make every row 40ft and plant and space til I run out of room.and do a hanging trellis for the stuff that's gonna climb
    Hope I wrote it right this time :-P

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Jrslick already gave you the guideline:Basically , you plan looks ok.

A) The rows should be 3 to 4ft apart. This is mostly for you to walk between the rows to take care of your plants. If you have a lot of space make it 4ft. apart. If not you can do with 2.5ft.

B) space tomatoes about 2 feet (give or take few inches). SO in a 30 ft long row you CAN plant 30 tomatoes. I would space bush zukes about 1.5 to 2 feet.

C) Plant cucumbers(IF trellised) and Okra 1 foot apart .
    D) the other veggies need anywhere from 4" to 8" spacing and you can plant more than one row on the hills. Actually, the rows will be narrow beds of about 2 to 2.5 ft wide.

• ashfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thank you two for the help I'm gonna have fun with my first tiller yay gotta try not to get carried away and do the whole yard

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I'm surspised at giving the tomato plants only 2' apart. Seems a little close, depending on the type of tomato plants. The 3-4 feet between rows isn't just mainly for us humans to walk in, the plant roots go out into those spots too!

Actually, saying 3-4' between rows can be a little misleading (depending on how you interpret that) because it doesn't address how wide the rows themselves are. A tomato plant has a much larger footprint than a bean plant, so if you plant a row of bean seeds, then measure 3' over from your furrow and plant another row of beans, fine, plenty of room. But if you plant a row of tomato transplants, especially monsters like some of the cherry tomatoes, measure 3' over then do a row of okra, you won't have room to move come midsummer, because those can both average 3' in diameter.

I have lots of space and I like to be comfortable in the garden, so I have a 3' spacing for everything: 3' wide row for planting, 3' wide path for walking, 3' wide row for planting, etc. For smaller things I end up treating it like a small bed, and plant rows within rows, like with lettuce, bush beans, garlic. I could probably do with smaller pathways, but not smaller rows.