Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden rows

Posted by ashfarm 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 22:24

Hi everybody. I have a question I'm starting some of my prep work for my garden next year and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I wanna know how long of a row would I need to plant 16 tomato plants total grape,pear,cherry and beefsteak 16 okra 16 bush type squash and beans mixed greens beets radishes and cucumbers. I was thinking a 30ft row would be ok or would I need longer rows?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden rows

Tomatoes, 16 plants, 2 feet apart equals 32 feet. 3 to 4 feet between rows

Okra, 16 feet, 1 foot apart equals 16 feet 3 to 4 feet between rows

Bush type squash(Zucchini or something like winter squash?) minimum of 16 feet for zucchini, but that would be packing it in. 3 to 4 feet between rows

Cucumbers 1 foot apart minimum, 3 to 4 feet between rows

Beans, Mixed greens, beets, radishes, We transplant lettuce 8 to 12 inches apart and direct seed the beans, beets and radishes with our earthway planter, so how ever long of a row you wanted. I would plant the beets and radishes in a bed, with 3 or 4 rows a 8 to 12 inches apart or so.

If you want to plant all of this in one 30 foot row, it would be a complete failure and a jungle.

Jay

o

Wrote that kinda wrong I ment to say 1 30ft row for each type of veggie 1 30ft row for 4 different types of tomato 1 for summer squash and one for winter and so on was planning on transplanting every thing I don't have much luck starting seeds outside.I want it to look even so I'm just gonna make every row 40ft and plant and space til I run out of room.and do a hanging trellis for the stuff that's gonna climb
Hope I wrote it right this time :-P

o

Jrslick already gave you the guideline:Basically , you plan looks ok.

A) The rows should be 3 to 4ft apart. This is mostly for you to walk between the rows to take care of your plants. If you have a lot of space make it 4ft. apart. If not you can do with 2.5ft.

B) space tomatoes about 2 feet (give or take few inches). SO in a 30 ft long row you CAN plant 30 tomatoes. I would space bush zukes about 1.5 to 2 feet.

C) Plant cucumbers(IF trellised) and Okra 1 foot apart .
D) the other veggies need anywhere from 4" to 8" spacing and you can plant more than one row on the hills. Actually, the rows will be narrow beds of about 2 to 2.5 ft wide.

o

Ok thank you two for the help I'm gonna have fun with my first tiller yay gotta try not to get carried away and do the whole yard

o

I'm surspised at giving the tomato plants only 2' apart. Seems a little close, depending on the type of tomato plants. The 3-4 feet between rows isn't just mainly for us humans to walk in, the plant roots go out into those spots too!

Actually, saying 3-4' between rows can be a little misleading (depending on how you interpret that) because it doesn't address how wide the rows themselves are. A tomato plant has a much larger footprint than a bean plant, so if you plant a row of bean seeds, then measure 3' over from your furrow and plant another row of beans, fine, plenty of room. But if you plant a row of tomato transplants, especially monsters like some of the cherry tomatoes, measure 3' over then do a row of okra, you won't have room to move come midsummer, because those can both average 3' in diameter.

I have lots of space and I like to be comfortable in the garden, so I have a 3' spacing for everything: 3' wide row for planting, 3' wide path for walking, 3' wide row for planting, etc. For smaller things I end up treating it like a small bed, and plant rows within rows, like with lettuce, bush beans, garlic. I could probably do with smaller pathways, but not smaller rows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here