Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

Does Arugula bolt faster than other lettuces?

1st time trying Arugula. I started a pony pack in Sept. indoors, let it outside after about 6 weeks to harden off, and one of them had already started bolting before I even let them in full sun. I transplanted the remainder a few days later and now all of them are starting to bolt.

Is Arugula particularly sensitive to the heat and/or leaving them in starter cells for more than a few weeks? I never get this with leaf lettuces. When I plant lettuces in the fall, I don't get bolting until the summer of the next year.

Kevin

Comments (15)

• glib
    9 years ago

arugula is not a lettuce, and it bolts with a single day in the 80s in spring. No need to harden arugula in San Diego, just direct seed.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Arugula is a brassica. And yes, it is extremely prone to bolting. Winter is a good time to grow it where you are.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glib and Slimy: Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't sure what family it was in. learn something new every day -- that explains the little yellow flowers that so many other brassicas have. Seeds aren't typical for a brassica, I notice.

Glib: I started indoors to control the situation a bit. Direct seeding would've done them in immediately. I live about 20 miles inland from the coast(where it gets much warmer).

Can it be grown in partially shady conditions? Also, do I have to worry about loopers attacking?

Thanks.

Kevin

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Transplanting will promote bolting rather than prevent it. Arugula grows so fast it really isn't worth starting it anywhere but in situ. If it's too hot how about trying to provide some shade or waiting until conditions cool off?

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Yes, it can grow in partial shade conditions.

It doesn't get attacked by cabbage pests nearly as badly as other brassicas, but if they're desperate they'll get the arugula too.

And the important thing to remember is that the flowers and seed pods are just as delicious as the leaves and can be added to salads. Also, when I snip off the bolted parts and cut the plant down to a couple inches tall, I often have luck with it going back to producing leaves for me.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I find it gets flea beetle but not cabbage white caterpillars or aphids. I just get used to holey Arugula. Not a problem. Personally, although I eat the flowers, I find the seed pods too tough to bother with. I also grow Wild Arugula, Diplotaxis tenuifolia, which is perennial, much slower to bolt and produces all through the winter. It also self sows and I find it easier than true Arugula.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks elisa and floral.

elisa: I'll have to try that. I didn't pull them, so I can experiment. We're actually getting back to more seasonal temps, but Santa Anas are common now and can pick those temps back into the high 80's for a few days. I'll direct seed some just in case though.

floral: Surprising to hear that Arugula would be tough where you are. I would think it stays cool enough a good portion of the year. Is it really THAT finicky?

Kevin

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

I believe floral was referring only to the seed pods, not the leaves of arugula which are the commonly eaten part.

• CathyCA SoCal
    9 years ago

Also in Southern California. Arugula grows like a weed and re-seeds. Still tasty after bolting. Not bitter like lettuce. Big problem is that it attracts the bragada bug.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Exactly right, slimy. I wrote ' I find the seed pods too tough to bother with.' The leaves are fine.

Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL. I didn't mean tough as in tough to eat, but tough as in DIFFICULT to grow.

Cathy: Good to know.. though not sure how well they'd reseed in the dry soil of inland SoCal. Yep. I read about the Bagrada a few weeks ago in the newspaper. Went out to check for them and sure enough, they were all over my kale and Alyssum. So, I pulled the Alyssum and for the next couple weeks smashed the bugs on the kale. No signs of them since(knock on wood!). Looks like I'll have to find a replacement beneficial plant for my yearly Alyssum transplants though.

Kevin

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

It's not exactly difficult but wild Arugula is much easier if you are a rather laissez faire gardener like me. Far less bolt prone. Even in my climate regular Arugula bolts fast and needs constant resowing. The wild stuff is just less hassle. It self sows and and hasn't needed resowing since the first lot some years ago.

Original Author
    9 years ago

floral: how's the flavor on the wild?

Thanks.

Kevin

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Peppery. More so than regular.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Some say that arugula gets too strong when it bolts. I just grab the flowers and yank them off and I like the peppery taste! Nancy