Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisies4ever

Seysonn and Sunnibel7 were right! Rabbit!

daisies4ever
10 years ago

Caught him in the yard today, first time. You two were right. That's what ate my chard and lettuce. I'm not happy, but at least I can sleep at night again! I guess it was a matter of time before I got a visual. Time to build some cages to keep him out. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Did you actually see him eating? I bet it is deer. I have lots of rabbits and I only ever see them eating broad-leaf weeds. When I see some wholesale chomping, especially when it's more than a few inches above the ground, then I know it's deer.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Wascally wabbit! There's plenty of info on here about keeping rabbits out, if you use the search function. :)

Pat, I've had rabbits eat my chard, one leaf at a time down to the nub. Maybe it is a seasonal craving? Happened in the fall this year, and I think in the fall last year too, looking back on it.

• happyhelper
    10 years ago

Rabbits ate my broccoli when I tried to plant them in the fall. They did not bother the broccoli plants in the Spring.

• wolverine1012
    10 years ago

Rabbits got all of our broccoli and cauliflower this spring--TWICE. I've got an electric fence around the garden, but that doesn't seem to bother them. I finally went out and bought a bunch of rabbit guard fencing (small holes on bottom, bigger on top) and that seemed to stop them. So far, the electric fence seems to be keeping the deer and groundhogs at bay.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I tried over and over this year to grow fall lettuce, every time the heat burned it up. Finally, very late, some of it sprouted and started to grow. I watched with interest to see if it would reach harvestable size before the freeze got it.

Sure enough, I come out one day, and it's all been nipped down to the nub by the rachets.

Every year.

• squirrellypete
    10 years ago

Rabbits decimated my spring Broccoli crop (my first attempt). I planted some fall Broccoli and so far so good but I know that can't last. I finally bit the bullet and bought a floating row cover for pest control as well as frost protection. Now that it came in today I just KNOW those buggers are gonna' clean me out tonight before I can get it attached to hoops and anchored down tomorrow. If they get my fall broccoli we may be having rabbit stew alot this winter lol. Grrrrr.

My nieces live in the city and love rabbits (I do too in actuality, I prefer to use non-lethal barriers and shoot them only as a last resort), they have 7 of them as pets, all adorable. They would be absolutely HORRIFIED to learn that folks out here shoot them as pests and that they can be bred for rabbit meat. Shooting one has certainly crossed my mind a time or two. My sister doesn't even want me to mention in front of her kids that I get my garden manure from a rabbit farm. Apparently that's too traumatic.......Sheesh.