Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using well water in Vegetable Garden

Posted by cammunizm 9A (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 23:45

I live inland, north Florida (9A). We've had a well at this location for several years, using it primarily to replenish the swimming pool and water non-edible areas of the lawn. Observationally, over time, the well water leaves a rust-colour on cement/brick due to iron and may sometimes have a slight sulfur smell.

I've not yet tested it, but plan on doing so for pH and so on. Assuming the pH checks out, is it advisable to use on edibles/vegetable garden areas for irrigation? Will I have to check it each time I plan to water?

Thank you!
C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using well water in Vegetable Garden

As far as whether or not it would be a good source of irrigation for plants, if the grass that is being watered with it now is doing well, there is a good chance that it will work for other plants. However, if you want to get a more complete picture of how it will do with a broad range of plants, these are things that would be very good to know:
-pH
-bicarbonate
-salinity
-sodium
-chloride
-sulfate
-calcium
-magnesium
-boron
-manganese
-fluoride

Things that would be nice to know:
-nitrogen as nitrate
-nitrogen as ammonium
-phosphorous
-potassium
-copper
-zinc
-iron (although we already have a pretty good idea)

I can help you with that part if you post the numbers once testing is complete. If your concern leans more towards human health issues, then I won't be much help. Toxcrusader could possibly chime in on that stuff.

o

Many of us gardeners who live in rural locations have been watering our gardens with well water, and even pond water, for decades with no problems. We don't have the option of anything else.

And honestly, even if I could have access to city water and all its purification additives I'd still prefer the well water for my gardens.

Neither the sulfur small nor the iron oxide in your well water poses any threat to your garden plants and even has some beneficial side-effects.

Dave

o

The U of F extension service also known as IFAS has loads of info. online on the subject of irrigation water quality. If the state budget woes haven't caused the extension service to implode, you might be able to actually speak to an agent in your's or a nearby county about the matter.

Yep, those shallow wells in FL are famous for their iron staining, sulfur stinking water. Do some research, you'll find that your well can be used if managed properly. I.E. Service bulletin SL 142 Neutralizing Excess Bicarbonates From Irrigation Water may be illuminating. A water analysis would also be illuminating but you extension agent may already know your water's status and be able to save you the time and money to get an analysis done.

o

I was in Smyrna beach FL. years ago visiting friends, maybe close to you? They had a well for irrigation only. They had some great stuff growing in their yard. Mostly citric fruit but some great looking tomatoes and beans.

I broke an axle on my jeep, playing in the sand...... When I was replacing it the bugs were eating me alive. My friend told me to spray some of his well water on me. I smelled bad but the bugs left me alone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here