Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cammunizm

Using well water in Vegetable Garden

cammunizm
12 years ago

I live inland, north Florida (9A). We've had a well at this location for several years, using it primarily to replenish the swimming pool and water non-edible areas of the lawn. Observationally, over time, the well water leaves a rust-colour on cement/brick due to iron and may sometimes have a slight sulfur smell.

I've not yet tested it, but plan on doing so for pH and so on. Assuming the pH checks out, is it advisable to use on edibles/vegetable garden areas for irrigation? Will I have to check it each time I plan to water?

Thank you!

C

Comments (16)

• gargwarb
    12 years ago

As far as whether or not it would be a good source of irrigation for plants, if the grass that is being watered with it now is doing well, there is a good chance that it will work for other plants. However, if you want to get a more complete picture of how it will do with a broad range of plants, these are things that would be very good to know:
    -pH
    -bicarbonate
    -salinity
    -sodium
    -chloride
    -sulfate
    -calcium
    -magnesium
    -boron
    -manganese
    -fluoride

Things that would be nice to know:
    -nitrogen as nitrate
    -nitrogen as ammonium
    -phosphorous
    -potassium
    -copper
    -zinc
    -iron (although we already have a pretty good idea)

I can help you with that part if you post the numbers once testing is complete. If your concern leans more towards human health issues, then I won't be much help. Toxcrusader could possibly chime in on that stuff.

• Michael
    12 years ago

The U of F extension service also known as IFAS has loads of info. online on the subject of irrigation water quality. If the state budget woes haven't caused the extension service to implode, you might be able to actually speak to an agent in your's or a nearby county about the matter.

Yep, those shallow wells in FL are famous for their iron staining, sulfur stinking water. Do some research, you'll find that your well can be used if managed properly. I.E. Service bulletin SL 142 Neutralizing Excess Bicarbonates From Irrigation Water may be illuminating. A water analysis would also be illuminating but you extension agent may already know your water's status and be able to save you the time and money to get an analysis done.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

I was in Smyrna beach FL. years ago visiting friends, maybe close to you? They had a well for irrigation only. They had some great stuff growing in their yard. Mostly citric fruit but some great looking tomatoes and beans.

I broke an axle on my jeep, playing in the sand...... When I was replacing it the bugs were eating me alive. My friend told me to spray some of his well water on me. I smelled bad but the bugs left me alone!

• Lucia Capozzoli
    6 years ago

I would like to add a comment here and question. I read over these comments and found it very helpful! Our company uses well water to irrigate our plants around campus and I was wondering if I could use it on our future garden. It seems to be that this is okay from what I read, but should I still have the Well water tested? or if it was tested see the results and have it tested again? We plan to donate all the harvest we have from the garden and I want to make sure 1) it is safe for human consumption and 2)no liability on our part. What do you all think?

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

There are all sorts of "wells" Lucia. Some are rated as potable and safe for drinking, some are only for irrigation and not safe for drinking and some of those are only approved for irrigation of non-food crops.

If you don't know what kind of well you have then yes you will need to have it tested. Even those of us who live on household wells that are rated as potable have them tested periodically.

Dave

• rgreen48
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I WISH I had a well for watering the garden. I got into a fight with the water coop here over my bill from watering the garden last year. We had a terrible hot, dry spell at the beginning of the season and the only way to get my transplants established was to water using city water. The price per gal was perfectly acceptable, but they charged me $150 for sewer! I gave the manager a huge problem over the issue. They assume that every drop of water you use goes down the sewer pipes and there was no recognition for garden or sprinkler use! Their excuse was that the pricing policy was 'industry practice', and there was little that could be done. I was mad enough to sue, and was ready to start a nationwide push to provide an exemption form for gardeners to have their sewer use estimated throughout the year, and garden use to be exempted. The guy was fairly understanding, and instead of following through, I have swore off using city water for the garden. I'm collecting water now, and need to travel to get food grade drums. I have no good thoughts on the issue lol.

Oh, and people who didn't realize the issue - like myself with the garden - have had the problem trying to fill a swimming pool.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

yeah I agree we had to pay a sewer and drainage charge for drainage when we were moving here and no water was used in our former home.. took two years off and on to move here.....so it would have made no diff if we had the water shut off... they got us coming and going....

dont get me on that soapbox. LOL

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

I hope so, cuz well water is all I've got!

• rgreen48
    6 years ago

People who only have wells should be aware (most become aware with on-going use) that wells have their limits, and gardens can certainly help to push those limits.

Has yours ever run dry hairmetal4ever?

• planterjeff
    6 years ago

Well water is fine but I would get it tested. I do a lot of finance in Fl and we require well tests on all wells attached to our financed properties. I will tell you this, after 15 years in the business I have learned that a lot of the wells across America in general are polluted with coliform/fecal matter/chemicals. The main issue is that many folks on wells also have septic, and not many people take care of either as well. The septic tanks will slowly leach into the ground water. None of my new employees ever believe me when I told them that over 50% of wells have unacceptable levels of poo water in them, but once they start getting the results back from rural America, their views quickly change. Just something to consider. Take a sample to your local health department and they will do a test and have results back within a day or two for less than $20 on average.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

My well hasn't run dry, but I haven't been here that long.

It also is very deep and high-yielding for the area (320' and has a yield at least as high as my pump is capable of drawing up). My neighbors with their 75' - 150' wells will go dry long before I do.

• PRO
    Koenig Construction, Inc.
    5 years ago
    @rgreen48. You should be able to install another water meter just for irrigation. That one wouldn’t charge for removing the water. Works out cheaper. Just a suggestion.
  • rgreen48
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I haven't posted for a long time, but tyvm for the suggestion Koenig. I did ask about a second meter back when it was an issue, and their response was that it would cost $1500 to install the meter! While the utility Rep was apologetic and understanding of my displeasure (as I mentioned,) he admitted that the only customers who can afford the irrigation meters (the water utility only approves their own meters installed by their own crews) are those who irrigate large landscapes and lawns... essentially only the largest of factories and the local community college. It just wouldn't be practical in my circumstance as that particular Spring/Early Summer was especially dry - uncommon for E. Tenn.

Another solution presented itself though... a brother in my local congregation had a 250 gal. pick-up truck-style water tank that he wasn't using. The gutters from the roof will be channeled through a filter right into the tank. Gravity will work for watering most of the garden, and I have a submersible pump for the higher areas. No more city water use for any reason! It also makes me feel good about water conservation and diversion of runoff. So... win - win - win!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    5 years ago

Just for a little balance on this issue. A city water supply is allowed to flunk the water test three times a month and still be considered good clean healthy water.

• nancyjane_gardener
    5 years ago

Planterjeff- we built our house in Sonoma Co CA in 1989. the well went in in '88. Even back then the septic had to be far away from the well! We even had to get an easement to cross the easement that the county had on our property (the city sewer pipe ran through our property, but we couldn't hook into it!)

Always tested fine, but some neighbors who had old shallow wells and antiquated septic systems tested positive for coli----whatever.

Well water was fine on my garden for 18 years! Nancy