Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayinpenn

The year of the weed

rayinpenn
9 years ago

This past summer my garden was a weed overrun disaster - I'm vowing not to let that happen again. I've got 5 4x8 raised beds surrounded by a wire fence. It's the aisles and perimeter that are the problem.

--Putting that black landscape fabric would probably work but man that's a lot of bending and cutting (old man knees)
--Leaves?
--Grass clippings?

I'm looking for and would appreciate some ideas...

Comments (6)

• dyeajohn
    9 years ago

My geese take care of that problem. Of course, then I have another problem; goose poop instead of weeds, and I have to put a fence around each raised bed to keep the geese out of them.

• glib
    9 years ago

Same here in Michigan. Rainy year -> big weeds. Especially in the paths here too, though I did lose control of a few beds. Unfortunately, while I was away my collaborators saw a huge pile of chips one block away, then proudly showed me the new paths. They knew I was unhappy, and now they see why. Next year it is going to be weed block in the path, leaves on every bed, no direct seeding.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

We do cardboard under weedblock with mulch over that. Not much gets through that! All I have to do is put a layer of fresh mulch down every spring to keep it looking nice. Of course, right along the edges of the raised beds grass and dandelions try to bully their way through; a small amount of weeding in the spring usually keeps it to a "dull roar" the rest of the year (and if it gets really bad, before we plant the raised beds a little spritz of RoundUp foam is applied.)
    Edie

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

I know.

Dealing with weeds is what separates gardeners from wannabes. Still, we all bite off more than we can chew often enough.

One thing is that although sandy soils have a lot of drawbacks, a big plus is that weeds are much more controllable.

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Hi ray, here's my idea, in case you like it (easier on the knees, harder on the back -- requires periodic tilling). My raised beds are on the ground, though -- I guess if you have wooden frames, it might not work to till between them?

In the early spring (about every other year) I till (or hire someone to till) my paths and perimeter. Then I rake it smooth and broadcast clover seed, tamp it down a little, wait for rain. The clover forms a nice carpet (no mowing needed) and shades out weeds. I've used white clover with good success. Also crimson clover, though that can get taller (but it has gorgeous flowers!) The idea first came from my AG extension office.

• Persimmons
    9 years ago

I've scoured the gardens I inherited from the previous homeowners for their massive flagstones. I use the flagstones to "pave" my garden pathways. This severely cuts down on the weeds but does require an athletic hand (the lifting and moving, and turning). Every Spring, I pull up the stones and level them off from the previous Winter's erosion. Then, creeping thyme (or some weed that's extremely similar) grows up through the "grouting". It helps hold the stones in place, is easy to walk on, is VERY easy to pull if it becomes a nuisance.

As for my garden beds/ like others mine are in the ground (not raised). I purchase lots and lots of salt marsh hay from the local farms with estuarine property. The layer helps insulate in the summer time and the weeds that do grow through are leggy/easy to pull. I also do this mulching in the Autumn, just in case; my area is on the edge of zone 5a/6b, so during milder winters the weeds grow ravenously.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?