Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter1142

Brussels Sprouts

Peter1142
9 years ago

Sorry I got one more :)

I want to grow Brussels Sprouts... Zone 6b SE NY. Frost free Apr 30th - Oct 30th or so.

I wanted to try for a Spring harvest but many recommend against it. Would planting seedlings of an early variety (listed as say 80 days) in March be feasible, or am I wasting my time? It is usually hot by June but it is hard to say... the nights should still be cool.

I tried planting August 1st this year (prob too late I know) direct sow and nothing happened... I got some tiny seedlings that never took off (though the broccoli planted next to them did much better, until it was eaten by pests, so perhaps it was the variety.) If I am going for a Fall harvest (and I haven't had much luck with any of my Fall plantings... there were a lot of pests, and very little sun in my garden... only the tomatoes really kept producing in October) could I plant in early June to ensure a good growing season?

Thoughts?

Also for broccoli, would you recommend trying a direct sow in March as soon as the ground can be worked, or setting out transplants in April?

This post was edited by Peter1142 on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 9:36

Comments (10)

• gardendrivenlife
    9 years ago

I'm in Missouri, z6 and we have very similar seasons. I've grown for 2 years now, only from starter plants. The starts were available 1st week of August. I find the heat of summer is difficult to start seeds. This year was ok production. Even though the cooler fall and early freezes happened this year, the sprouts stayed good. They just quit growing vegetatively.They were ready on Thanksgiving. I believe they were like 85 days. Also, a must is irrigation.
    You may need more sunlight
    My problem was loose heads from too much fertilizer

My pr

• Peter1142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not have any luck finding Brussels sprouts seedlings.... if I plant transplants I will have to do them myself... but perhaps I should... idk.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Brussels Sprouts require cold exposure once the sprouts develop for their flavor development. Frost exposure, at least a couple of times, prior to harvest insures the best flavor. It also insures the best texture and storage time. That's why they are normally a late summer/early fall planting.

Some crops dictate their proper planting time regardless of when we may want to plant them. Brussels Sprouts is one of them. The search of this forum will pull up many discussions about them for more information.

Dave

PS: and you can easily start them from seed indoors out of the summer heat.

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

I have good results starting brussels sprouts seed in February, moving seedlings out into the coldframe late in March and planting them once they're acclimated to outdoor conditions. The first harvest is generally in late summer and plants continue to produce until well after frost. I also have the benefit of local nurseries that sell packs of brussels sprouts seedlings in summer so I plant those for later harvest (most of my current crop awaits picking, a pleasant chore I plant to do some of later today).

I'm dubious of that claim that you need to wait until after frost to get good flavor from brussels sprouts. The ones I harvest in late summer and early fall taste just fine.

• Peter1142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What I'd really like to do is try it both ways... seems like I probably can in the same bed...

• Peter1142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I will try planting a very early variety like Octia, start indoors in February, plant out in March, should get some edible Brussels by early June if the weather cooperates. Harvest and plant another round for Fall... how's that sound?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I haven't grown brussels sprouts as I'm not a fan of them. But I think you should focus on trying to get one good crop first or at least plant your spring and mid-summer plantings in different areas. If you try to plant in the same area, if the spring planting is delayed and/or if the development/harvest of the sprouts from the spring planting is late then it's going to delay the mid-summer planting which might result in not getting to harvest any sprouts in fall.

Rodney

• Peter1142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes that's true, but I could always find somewhere else to plant them, I'm not concerned about that as there will be plenty coming out of the ground in June..... I am not planning to devote a huge amount of time and space to the sprouts, just a few plants...

• planatus
    9 years ago

Peter, you will get only one harvest season from the plants. I start seeds the first week of June for harvest in Oct and Nov.

Spring seedlings "blast" in midsummer due to hot weather and there is nothing to harvest -- waste of time and space.

• Peter1142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As I said, the idea was to try and get to harvest before the midsummer heat, by using an 80 day variety and starting indoors well ahead of time. We'll see if I will try, only if I have the extra space.