Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice about growing Spaghetti Squash in containers...

Posted by ameera z11 Dubai (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 9:05

I am trying to grow spaghetti squash for the first time.....

So far two of my 4 spaghetti squash seeds have sprouted. I am growing two each in 10 gallon Smart Pot containers and will allow them to sprawl on the ground.

I am growing them on my roof which is concrete and I was wondering if the vines will do ok sprawling over concrete or if I should lay something on the ground like fake grass mats or wood boards or something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice about growing Spaghetti Squash in containers...

The vines will be cooked laying on concrete, especially with your temps. Concrete absorbs and holds heat and is often 20 degrees hotter than the air temp.

A thick layer of hay or straw 6-10" inches thick 'might' keep them cool enough but the vines draw moisture and coolness from the ground normally so I'm not sure if even the thick mulch if kept moist will work. Trellising them would be better but then you have to rig up support for the squash.

Better yet try to find a bush variety plant, not vines.

Dave

o

Ok... I am sad that this might not work out but I am going to be crazy and try it anyways... I do have something to trellis them on so this will be an experiment for me.

I was just kicking myself for not buying spaghetti squash seeds while I was vacationing in the US just recently. I wish I would have known there were bush varieties. Just last week I was going through all my veggie seeds I have and found these SS seeds I had received as a bonus extra in an international tomato seed exchange over on the Growing Tomatoes Forum.

o

Ok, I am now wondering if I have time to do this... say I order some bush type spaghetti squash now and it takes a little less than a month to get to me between them being mailed to my family and then they mail the seeds to me...

Since it will take around 100 days for the squash to mature, the temperatures will probably be in the mid 80s to maybe low 90s by the time this can happen... will it be too hot for the plants by then?

o

Unless you really love squash, it's a lot of heartache and space for what you get. Even with a backyard garden, it goes everywhere, and a lot of the fruit fall off, get eaten by pests, or whathaveyou. I like fried squash blossoms, so I pinch mine off quite early, but the few squash I've managed to get to fruit never seem to be eaten.

Why not a cherry tomato, or if you like vines, a malabar spinach, or something suited to your climate/growing conditions?

I love that you want to do this, it's great, that's just a tricky one for feeling successful.

o

Nola Nigella, thank you for your advice. I am trying to grow tomatoes now (not cherry though).

I am going to go ahead and try the spaghetti squash...if it fails...at least I will have tried. I may be crazy but I just love spaghetti squash and it isn't sold here.

On my next trip to the US I think I will stuff as many spaghetti squash I can to fill up my suitcases LOL

o

I've seen spaghetti squash on a trellis on a youtube video. The squash were getting big and still holding on without support. Unlike melons, the stem of the squash is quite thick. You have to train the vines up the trellis.

o

Spaghetti squash growing on a trellis in link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube video - spaghetti squash on trellis

o

Last summer i grew spaghetti squash in a cinder block to my surprise i got a few small spaghetti squash..

o
photos of the growing plants :)

jonfrum, I totally thought I had responded to you after I watched that video link... sorry for the delay--thank you so much for that :)

desert cat-- just saw your reply... I hope I can get these to pollinate and ripen :)

Here is a bit of an update... photos of one of the container'd plants(2 in each container) I took today. Don't mind the junk in the background...

photo SQFeb1st20131.jpg

photo SQFeb1st20132.jpg

I bought an arch thingy to hang trellis from for them to grow up.

o

Awesome, you got a female flower! I'm glad you stuck with it. Hopefully that flower got pollinated,and will set.
lower 90's should be fine, but here in Dallas, which also gets really hot, last summer I found that from mid- to upper 90s and above was just too hot for fruit to set on pumpkins and acorn squash. The plants grew like crazy, but very few female flowers and they all fell off

o

Ccabal, thank you! The temperatures are good for now... Mid 70s to low 80s for highs. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here