Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

advice about growing Spaghetti Squash in containers...

ticodxb
11 years ago

I am trying to grow spaghetti squash for the first time.....

So far two of my 4 spaghetti squash seeds have sprouted. I am growing two each in 10 gallon Smart Pot containers and will allow them to sprawl on the ground.

I am growing them on my roof which is concrete and I was wondering if the vines will do ok sprawling over concrete or if I should lay something on the ground like fake grass mats or wood boards or something?

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

The vines will be cooked laying on concrete, especially with your temps. Concrete absorbs and holds heat and is often 20 degrees hotter than the air temp.

A thick layer of hay or straw 6-10" inches thick 'might' keep them cool enough but the vines draw moisture and coolness from the ground normally so I'm not sure if even the thick mulch if kept moist will work. Trellising them would be better but then you have to rig up support for the squash.

Better yet try to find a bush variety plant, not vines.

Dave

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok... I am sad that this might not work out but I am going to be crazy and try it anyways... I do have something to trellis them on so this will be an experiment for me.

I was just kicking myself for not buying spaghetti squash seeds while I was vacationing in the US just recently. I wish I would have known there were bush varieties. Just last week I was going through all my veggie seeds I have and found these SS seeds I had received as a bonus extra in an international tomato seed exchange over on the Growing Tomatoes Forum.

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I am now wondering if I have time to do this... say I order some bush type spaghetti squash now and it takes a little less than a month to get to me between them being mailed to my family and then they mail the seeds to me...

Since it will take around 100 days for the squash to mature, the temperatures will probably be in the mid 80s to maybe low 90s by the time this can happen... will it be too hot for the plants by then?

• Nola_Nigella
    11 years ago

Unless you really love squash, it's a lot of heartache and space for what you get. Even with a backyard garden, it goes everywhere, and a lot of the fruit fall off, get eaten by pests, or whathaveyou. I like fried squash blossoms, so I pinch mine off quite early, but the few squash I've managed to get to fruit never seem to be eaten.

Why not a cherry tomato, or if you like vines, a malabar spinach, or something suited to your climate/growing conditions?

I love that you want to do this, it's great, that's just a tricky one for feeling successful.

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nola Nigella, thank you for your advice. I am trying to grow tomatoes now (not cherry though).

I am going to go ahead and try the spaghetti squash...if it fails...at least I will have tried. I may be crazy but I just love spaghetti squash and it isn't sold here.

On my next trip to the US I think I will stuff as many spaghetti squash I can to fill up my suitcases LOL

• jonfrum
    11 years ago

Spaghetti squash growing on a trellis in link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube video - spaghetti squash on trellis

• desert_cat_ca
    11 years ago

Last summer i grew spaghetti squash in a cinder block to my surprise i got a few small spaghetti squash..

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jonfrum, I totally thought I had responded to you after I watched that video link... sorry for the delay--thank you so much for that :)

desert cat-- just saw your reply... I hope I can get these to pollinate and ripen :)

Here is a bit of an update... photos of one of the container'd plants(2 in each container) I took today. Don't mind the junk in the background...

{{gwi:132686}}

{{gwi:132687}}

I bought an arch thingy to hang trellis from for them to grow up.

• Christian
    11 years ago

Awesome, you got a female flower! I'm glad you stuck with it. Hopefully that flower got pollinated,and will set.
    lower 90's should be fine, but here in Dallas, which also gets really hot, last summer I found that from mid- to upper 90s and above was just too hot for fruit to set on pumpkins and acorn squash. The plants grew like crazy, but very few female flowers and they all fell off

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ccabal, thank you! The temperatures are good for now... Mid 70s to low 80s for highs. :)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living