Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing the sticky flesh from seeds for saving

Posted by tomo6 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 9:48

hi,

ive noticed when i remove the seeds from my pepper pods for saving, they're often coverd in sticky pepper flesh which i find very difficult to remove, ive tried rinsing them but it doesnt help.
is there a special way of doing it?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing the sticky flesh from seeds for saving

What kind of peppers are you growing that have sticky flesh on the inside? Every pepper I've ever grown has had crisp flesh, nothing mushy or sticky or gooey at all.

o

i remember definately that the birds eye chilli's (bought from the store) had it. ive saved seeds from my cayennes and anaheims but i can't remember if they had or not.
anyway i know squashes and pumpkins have gooey flesh covered seeds and i might be growing some next year, so im just looking for a method on how to remove it.

o

Some old timers thought the flesh left on seed was useful. My grandmother spread such seed out on a piece of paper to dry and then saved them that way.

Perhaps the people at Seed Saving - GardenWeb would have more information.

o

Agree that the Seed Saving forum Albert linked is your best source of info. Check out all the "How-to" FAQs there.

The general method for de-gooing seeds is a brief 5-6 day period of light fermentation with a bit of water added. There are meany discussions available about how to do it that the search will pull up.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to ferment seeds for saving

o

The instructions in Dave's link are excellent. It may appear to be a long and complex process but it is not. Only the great depth of detail in those very good instructions makes it appear that way. It actually is very easy.

Jim

o

ah, ive heard of fermenting tomato seeds but didnt know why you had to do it..

thanks for the link!

o

Important to note that it isn't just for tomato seeds and that the fermentation process has the added benefit of somewhat disinfecting the seeds at the same time. Any goop/gooey seeds can be handled in the same way.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here