Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
superh_gw

Jalapeno survive frost?

Superh
11 years ago

I had a healthy Jalapeno take a spell of frost today. all the leaves are floppy and just in bad shape.

Is there anything i can do to save this? As long as I can get new growth next year i will be happy as this plants was really productive so I wanted to keep it.

Comments (8)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Outside or under glass?

Outdoors you can say goodbye to it. Under glass it might hang on a little longer but won't do anything much unless you have heat.

I still have peppers in my greenhouse but they are looking sad and I don't expect them to set any new fruit.

You will be very unlikely to be able to keep it going into next year. In our climate peppers are treated as tender annuals which you need to resow every year. They are not perennials so don't expect to keep the same plant from year to year.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Sorry, sounds like the frost has damaged all the tissue in the leaves and likely parts of the stem... Massive trauma as far as a plant is concerned! Like Flora said, it is likely too late. Some people do get very attached to their pepper plants and have successfully overwintered them. But this process involves digging up and severely trimming back the plant and taking it inside before frost. There are a number of discussions on it in the Hot Peppers forum, give a search there for "overwintering". It will give you something to try for next season! I have two plants that I am trying this year, and so far, so good. Cheers!

• Superh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was under-glass. I have it in the house now. I gave it a drink of warm water and hopefully it should make it to the spring.

Thanks your your thoughts. I have nothing to lose, so i may aswell chop the leaves back and stick it on a window till spring. Maybe it will make it.

My Cayenne are doing very well on the window.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Superh:

Like sunnibel said, head over to the hot pepper forum and talk about it there -- overwintering is very common for some of the guys/girls there. Not only do you need to severely prune the foliage, but also the root system. If THIS plant does bounce back, it may not be too late. If not, info for the future can be had.

Kevin

• tracydr
    11 years ago

It will survive light frost but not hard freeze.
    In a week or so, you'll be able to assess the damage. Continue to take care of it and once everything falls off, you'll be able to tell if anything is still alive.
    I once had several peppers and eggplants survive a few days down to 22 degrees but they wer up next to my brick house and I covered them with cardboard boxes and blankets. That was three years ago and I still have two eggplants and a jalape�o from that winter!

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Seems I was too pessimistic, Superh. Mine are always so manky by Christmas it never seems worth trying to keep them.

Here is a link that might be useful: One result from Google

• ju1234
    11 years ago

Keep it indoor. Do,t trim any branches till next spring. All leaves will die but main stems will survive and sprout new leaves next spring. Don't over water. Watch for any bugs or mold growth and treat them through the winter. Most likely it will survive. I have several egg plants, peppers and tomatoes covered under plastic outdoors to save them from light freeze. If we get a 3-4 days long freeze, which we get every few years, they will be toast.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Peppers are tropical plants, they will be heavily damaged by even a light freeze. When we overwinter peppers, we bring them inside. Basically if they get a direct hit from frost or anything much below freezing point, they're gonners.