Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato starting/temperature question

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 11:37

I realize that tomatoes grow best at temps over about 60. However, I have an idea/question...

If I start tomatoes for spring planting in late February or so, in a greenhouse or room where the ambient temps run on the cool side for tomatoes (50s/60s) would they do OK if the SOIL is heated to warmer temps even if the air is coolish?

In other words, would tomatoes with their roots heated to about 80 or so w/heating cables or mats do reasonably well at cooler air temps due to the soil being warmer...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato starting/temperature question

I don't think it is necessary to raise soil temperature to 80F. That is actually excessively hot. 60-65F will be fine. You only need 80-86F soil temperature for optimum germination. The thins is that at 50-60 air temperature, tomatoes will grow very slowly. But I think anything cooler than 60 is too cold. But that is fine, you can compensate for that by starting early. But more than temperature, they will need light to grow stocky.

o

Another question - re: heating mats, if I did use one...although I may not need to...I might experiment with a batch using one and a batch not using one.

How "deep" can the mats' heat penetrate? I have a bunch of seed starting containers that are about 4" deep. Would the mat warm that deep of a volume of soil thoroughly?

o

Recommended soil germination temp is 70-75 (80-85 for peppers) thus the recommendations for the use of heating mats or hot boxes, etc. Once germinated they are removed immediately to the cooler tem area of the GH.

If interested you can find a detailed FAQ about this over on both the Growing from Seed and the Growing Tomatoes forums here.

Will a heat mat effectively warm 4" of soil? No. That is why shallower containers are used for germination. You can use your 4" deep ones if you wish but only put 1 1/2 to 2" of soil in them. Then fill the pot as the plant grows. Better yet, germinate all of them in one shallow tray and transplant them to the individual containers once they develop true leaves.

Dave

o

If you are putting together seed-starting equipment, keep in mind that if you use a light fixture with a metal hood, you may be able to use the warmth from the light as your heating mat. The hoods on my grow lights are nice and sturdy, so I can set planted flats on them for bottom heat, then move the babes under the lights when the sprouts show.

o

I agree with planatus. I have measured , the space between the top of hood and what you put on it, can get up to 92F. I cushion it a bit an put my germinating baggies on it. Another place is the top of a lamp shade, covered with a dish towel. With a fluorescent lamp it can get close to 90F up there. Again, you can control it by cushioning more. So far I have done about 10 test germination the way I mentioned. So no more heating mat for me.

o

Good stuff. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here