Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onions from Seed in Zone 6

Posted by muddypaws4ever 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 11:42

I've read a lot of conflicting info on when to start my onion seeds in zone 6. I've come up with this and am looking for your thoughts. The kinds I have are:
Tropeanda Tonda
Yellow Borettana
Dorata di Parma

The plan is to sow thickly in 3x3 co. on 2-15. Diluted fish fert every 2x. not to thin. cut back leaves to 3" every two weeks. Plant out as transplants on 4-15.

Does this timing sound right?
Unrelated question; can you chop and freeze onions right away or do you have to wait the 3-4 months to cure before chopping and freezing?

Thanks for the info.

PS I did great concentrating on my peppers last year because of all your good advice. Next year -- onions!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onions from Seed in Zone 6

I mean two to three weeks to cure.

o

• Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 13:36

FYI...you may now edit your posts after posting. There is a tab for this on the right hand side of the page after you submit...in other words, no need for a second post

o

Other than Yellow Borettana which I know is a long-day variety I would have to look up each of those varieties to find out if they are short day or long day or intermediate day length varieties - onions are day length sensitive and that determines which type you can grow and when they are planted. So without that info this is just general info.

Would also help to know where in zone 6 you are located to know which types you should be using.

In my part of zone 6b we use only short day varieties and they are started from seed in early December and transplanted to the garden in late January - to early February.

If you haven't already done so I'd suggest you go to http://www.dixondalefarms.com/ and review some of their detailed info on growing onions and learn which types you should grow and when to plant.

Dave

o

'Cut back leaves to 3". Plant out as transplants on 4-15.'

I have not researched the type of onions you are planting, however...

I think you could put them out sooner than that. I live in central Indiana and usually plant onions by mid-April. 2012 was so strange and mild, they went out the first half of March and did great. We just got changed from zone5 to zone6.

3" sounds a little short to me. This past year, I pruned mine to about 6" tall because the wouldn't fit in the old fish aquarium I was using as a mini greenhouse. I use old "lunch meat" tubs wrapped with duck tape to keep light out and drilled some drain holes for starting the seeds. I got about 70 onions per tub.

o

Thanks for all the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here