Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

Time to really plan out the early spring garden....

t-bird
12 years ago

What are your plans for the early garden? When/what will you:

direct seed

start seed indoors

transplant out

any protection?

MY plan:

mid-late jan will start seed for:

cauliflower

brocolli

cabbage

napa cabbage

First 2 weeks of february will direct seed under plastic type tunnel:

Spinach

arugula

rapini

radish

mustard green

tat soi

pak choi

kale

First few weeks of march

set out January planted seedlings under FRC frost protection-agribond 19, adding in with them direct seeding of:

carrots

rutabagas

turnips

beets

cilantro

dill

kohlrabi

pak choi

Welp - this is the plan, may need to alter depending on weather constraints....

What is your plan?

Comments (11)

• stuffradio
    12 years ago

Mid to late Jan

Start Strawberries (if I get them) and Artichokes inside

February

Outside
    Sow Broad beans
    Radishes if I can get a cheap row cover. Might do Daikon.
    Bok choi if I can get a row cover
    Peas

Inside
    Start more Onions maybe Kelsae? We'll see.
    Start Leeks inside
    Start Parsley inside

March

Outside
    Arugula
    Kale
    Bok choi
    Parsnips
    Spinach under cover

Inside
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Celery and/or Celeriac
    Peppers
    Cabbage

• natal
    12 years ago

Have chard, lettuce, arugula and various herbs in the garden now. English peas are starting to climb.

Ordered tomato seeds yesterday. Will start them and a few peppers first week of February indoors on a heat mat. After germination they're moved to the cold frame until time to transplant ... usually mid to late March.

• thisisme
    12 years ago

I plan on planting....

Indoors;

Tomatoes, Peppers, Artichokes Jan 1st.

Squash, Melons, Cucumbers Jan 20th.

I hope to be able to plant them outdoors on or around March 1st weather permitting. Root crops and Sunflowers will follow. I still have Onions and Eggplant in the ground from last year.

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

Seedlings already started: kohlrabi, broccoli raab, Hy.broccoli, parsley, lavender, cilantro, leeks, onions, scallions, some lettuces, male, red and green cabbage,.and celery. Already wintersowed/direct sowed some carrots, radishes and shallots under low tunnels. There are also some lettuces, kohlrabi, and arugula that survived our winter without protection that I went ahead and covered for spring as well as a handful of broccoli plants. I'm not sure if they will head after overwintering but I don't see why not so I'm protecting them as well. Next week ill start the rest of the lettuces and then cauliflower, di cicco broccoli and a few others indoors. Those will all get transplanted out under double. Cover end of Jan/early Feb at which time ill also direct sow beets and spinach and more carrots. I still have a couple frames to construct so I need to get a move on. I'll be starting time, peppers.and eggplants end of Jan also. All my cucurbits ill start in Feb for may transplant. Hopefully all my nightshades can go out in April assuming I got spring stuff in early enough. Peas will also direct sow in feb, which will then hopefully be done in time for may/early June beans. I can't wait for.it to be march! Hope to be getting my first harvests by then!

• t-bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"All my cucurbits ill start in Feb for may transplant"

I've heard that they are very sensitive to root disturbance, and to only let them get 2 true leaves then transplant very carefully.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    12 years ago

Man youse guys are early!!! I won't even start my maters and melons until late March indoors. Right now I'm thinking of pruning the fruit trees and ordering some seed but that's it! Still in hibernation mode...
    :)

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

T bird: I've read that too but last year transplanted acorn squash, zuchinni, charentais and cucumbers Nd they all grew fine. I used peat pots though so I could minimize root disturbance. The melons sat for a while but I think they needed food and after feeding they took off. Too bad nearly everything contracted bacterial wilt eventuually. :(

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

Oh and the squash had flowers already before transplant. Maybe I just got lucky though?

• Donna
    12 years ago

vgkg, spring comes early in the south. So does summer. In my area, we are in a race with the sun to get a good crop of beans and tomatoes before it gets so hot that the plants stop setting fruit. If you look at the zone numbers, you can see that everyone's preparations start about two weeks earlier for each zone you go south.

I live right on the line between zone 7b and 8. I will start peppers and eggplants in mid February, since they take a very long time to grow. I could start tomatoes then too, but I usually wait until about 4 weeks before last frost, which is April 1, to start them. I like to be able to take the plants outside at least during the day. The plants just grow better that way.

Long about April 1, I start paying extra attention to the weather channel. As soon as our night temps are consistently above 55, I start direct sowing summer crops like cucs, squash, beans, cowpeas, etc. My raised beds are framed in concrete, so the soil warms up fast. This is a very big advantage in early spring. It can be a downer in mid summer....

• veggiecanner
    12 years ago

just started, , onions and parsely for transplant in april.
    peppers for transplants june 10th.
    will start broccoli and cabbage plants Feb 15th for April planting out
    will start peas carrots, beets, greens and salad ingredients out in april.
    Tomatoes get started beggining of March and transplanted with the peppers in june 10th
    For fall crops, I will start more broccoli and cabbage plants to replace the garlic that was planted in Oct last fall. As well as broccoli plants to replace the onions.
    other beds will be repalnted with turnips, bush peas, and assorted greens and salad stuff including lots of raddish.
    green beans will replace greens may 18th.
    Parsnips and potatoes get started in may for fall harvest.

• Amaricopa
    12 years ago

Can anyone help, I'm am trying to learn more about different types of lavender and I am wondering which one is best to use in sachets. I live in Arizona would I be able to grow it here?