Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim8539

Freezing temps and cold weather plants

tim8539
13 years ago

I'm in Phoenix AZ and the weather guys are predicting freezing temps the next 3 days or so. Between 20 - 30 degree's at night and might actually snow in some parts.

Question is should I cover my cold weather plants? I have broccoli, peas, radishes, carrots, cabbage and brussel sprouts. I also have some potatoes, but I just planted those and they haven't sprouted yet.

Comments (14)

• Kaisha
    13 years ago

As i am locked at home so i am searching for online guides on this topic.
    I have been through some good stuff on www.hometoolsdepot.com
    You should try it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to Home Renovation & Remodeling; Interior & exterior Improvements

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Looks like it's time to report a spammer since their post is off topic and they are promoting a site that has little to do with the subject.
    Kaisha I suggest you cease and desist if you care about your membership to this site.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Tim

I am also in zone 9b in Florida, we are going through some freezing temperatures for a couple of days, this morning was frost everywhere, tonight is another cold night.

This is what I did, tender tropical fruit trees, herbs, seedlings in containers are in an open porch with a space heater. Young citrus are covered with a tent, older citrus are covered the trunks, avocado the same. I picked all the bananas, papayas, tomatoes, star fruit to ripen indoors. The cold weather veggies are fine without any cover. The only bed that I covered has new seedlings to young to stand the temperatures.

Here is my garden and how it looks today

{{gwi:133050}}

Fresh picked vegetables after the freeze

Bordeaux spinach

{{gwi:10794}}

Veronica cauliflower

{{gwi:15034}}

Carrots

{{gwi:133051}}

Purple cauliflower

{{gwi:15033}}

Silvia

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Tim,
    I'm in 9a Central Florida, it hit 16 here for the overnight low, all my Cole crops came through it ok. The leaves looked somewhat saggy & wilted at first light until the sun hit them and they perked right back up again. The week before it hit 19 for the low. I believe the broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts are safe with your expected 20 to 30 low. The peas, radishes, carrots may depend the types you planted but most are cold tolerant. I do not cover any of my cold tolerant plants and last year the low here for me was 15 and they all survived.

Lou

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I grow cool seasons throughout the winter in Z5. Cover. Put in some water jugs under cover. Don't let cover touch leaves. Uncover in late morning. Enjoy.

Dan

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

All of them will be just fine down to 20 degrees at least, and even to the teens if they had some time to acclimate. The exception is pea flowers, which may abort below 28 degrees F, and the potato shoots, if emerged, may be burned by temperatures below 28 F.

Also, temps. in the teens may freeze exposed radish roots, affecting texture. They will still survive, though.

• tim8539
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks like everything will be OK then. Not used to getting cold weather out here in the desert so I wasn't sure how to handle it. Chance of snow is exciting when your over 90 for more than half the year. Thanks again for the help.

• mrswaz
    13 years ago

Silvia, those vegetable photos have me drooling! They're beautiful- and I'm wondering if I can grow those cauliflower here in the north now! :)

• kingkongos
    13 years ago

What about citrus? Will the fruit be damaged by a freeze like this? If so, what can be done?...my citrus trees are quite huge so covering them would be very difficult. Should I pick the fruit?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Surely there are 100,000 articles this week in the papers down there explaining what to do. They pop up every year, and they usually interview an Extension Agent, who likely explains that the Extension Agency has lots of publications about what to do.

Dan

• whgille
    13 years ago

Tim - Because the potatoes did not sprout yet, they are safe, otherwise the foliage dies back but they grow again.

Mrswaz - Thank you. And you can for sure grow any of the cold weather veggies where you are. My best season is when the weather gets cold. Good luck to you, it is always good to try new veggies.

Kingkongos - I lived in Phoenix for 10 years and one day we had snow. I had very large grown citrus and they did fine. Now that my citrus are young I have to protect them, anything that is planted for 1 year and is less than 5 feet gets covered with a tent, the other citrus get the roots covered with towels or blankets. Because we had long period of freezing temperatures the citrus fruit get frozen and can only be used for juicing. I did pick all my citrus fruit because is less stress on the tree, store them in a cool place or refrigerate-freeze them if you have space.

This morning at 9am the garden had frost, fog and chilling temperatures

{{gwi:133052}}

{{gwi:133053}}

Midlle of the day garden, nice temperatures again, all the cold weather veggies survived including the seedlings that were covered

{{gwi:133054}}

{{gwi:133055}}

Young red lime covered

{{gwi:133056}}

Citrus covered only the trunks are fine, here is a meyer lemon

{{gwi:133057}}

Mrswaz, here is some marinated cauliflower that I did.

{{gwi:133058}}

Keep warm!

Silvia

• vja4him
    11 years ago

Fall-Winter is my favorite time to garden! The hot weather here in the Central Valley, California, makes me very sick (heat/sun stroke, losing my pigments, sunburned very easily).

I measured the temperature in my garden this morning about 6:40 a.m., between 27-31 Degrees F. Our roommate's car at 7:15 a.m. still has solid ice all over the entire car!

I'm amazed that all of my Tomato plants (Pear and Cherry) are still looking healthy, with no signs of stress. My Tomato plants have always died before when the temperature drops below freezing. Maybe they are acclimatizing to the cold weather .....

Looks like all of my seedlings are enduring this chilling weather. I have over 100 different kinds of plants growing now, including summer plants: Tomatoes, Eggplants > Thai, Peppers, Basil, Zinnias, California Poppies, Morning Glories, Four O'clocks, and more ...

Now, if only the gophers will leave me something to eat this Winter .... Stray cat's nearly destroyed my most recent seed bed.

Picked fresh Southern Curled Mustard and Red Giant Mustard and Chinese Cabbage to add to my sandwich yesterday! Looking forward to fresh Lettuce, Beet Greens, Collard Greens, Kale, Kohlrabi Greens, Swiss Chard, Radish Greens, Stinging Nettle, Dandelions which should be ready soon .....

-- Jim (Central Valley, California)

> Climate Zone #8/14
    > Hardiness Zones #8-9a

• vja4him
    11 years ago

Fall-Winter is my favorite time to garden! The hot weather here in the Central Valley, California, makes me very sick (heat/sun stroke, losing my pigments, sunburned very easily).

I measured the temperature in my garden this morning about 6:40 a.m., between 27-31 Degrees F. Our roommate's car at 7:15 a.m. still has solid ice all over the entire car!

I'm amazed that all of my Tomato plants (Pear and Cherry) are still looking healthy, with no signs of stress. My Tomato plants have always died before when the temperature drops below freezing. Maybe they are acclimatizing to the cold weather .....

Looks like all of my seedlings are enduring this chilling weather. I have over 100 different kinds of plants growing now, including summer plants: Tomatoes, Eggplants > Thai, Peppers, Basil, Zinnias, California Poppies, Morning Glories, Four O'clocks, and more ...

Now, if only the gophers will leave me something to eat this Winter .... Stray cat's nearly destroyed my most recent seed bed.

Picked fresh Southern Curled Mustard and Red Giant Mustard and Chinese Cabbage to add to my sandwich yesterday! Looking forward to fresh Lettuce, Beet Greens, Collard Greens, Kale, Kohlrabi Greens, Swiss Chard, Radish Greens, Stinging Nettle, Dandelions which should be ready soon .....

-- Jim (Central Valley, California)

> Climate Zone #8/14
    > Hardiness Zones #8-9a

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

Search ~ phoenix vegetables OR plants "frost protection" ~ . UofA has a site high among the ghits. I don't have a PDF reader working so I cannot share what it says.

Here is another one that comes up high: Ten Tips For Dealing With Frost Sensitive Plants but I find about.com sites iffy. It may have exactly what you need.