Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Can I leave Purple Sweet Potatoes in ground two seasons?

simon_grow
12 years ago

Hello everyone, I planted some Okinawan Purple Sweet Potatoes late last spring and just dug up some of the tubers to see how they are coming along. I planted them pretty late in spring so I wasn't expecting them to get too big. The ones I dug up were actually about the size of the small purple sweet potatoes you find at the asian markets so I was quite happy.

Along with my edible sized sweet potatoes, I also found many that were about 3-6 inches long but only about half an inch in diameter. I was wondering if I can leave these very thin tubers in the ground until next season? I hope to harvest some larger tubers next year but I don't want the tubers to turn woody.

Here in San Diego, we occasionally get frost. We got slight frost two weeks ago which browned some of the top of my vines but the majority of the vines still looks good. Our ground does not freeze and I'm sure the vines will easily survive the winter. Do you think its ok for me to leave them until next Fall or will the Sweet Potatoes turn hard or otherwise inedible? Thanks in advance for any information!

Simon

Comments (4)