Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzslilies

Pumpkins for seeds and carving

lizzslilies
11 years ago

This year I planted 'big max' pumpkins and I got three very nice, heavy pumpkins with lots of seeds. I was very happy with the size of them, I was wondering if anyone knew of if the 'altantic giants' had as many seeds or more? I dont have enought space to put more than one plant of the giants, so I am thinking about staying with the 'big max'. This year I am adding space to my garden but not enought for the vines to stay in the garden, last year I had let them over flow into the yard and just had to mow around them, that wasn't a problem. But I fear with the 'giants' it would just take up more room then I can spare. the space I have planned out is about 10x20+.

OR do you know of any other pumpkins that have a big size 25+lbs and lots of seeds?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I've heard some great things about Snack Face and am going to give it a try this year. Supposedly good production with tons of hulless seeds ready for roasting and on a semi bush-type plant.

Dave

PS: also good for pies but small for carving

Here is a link that might be useful: Snack Face pumpkins

• stuffradio
    11 years ago

Had to harvest my Dill's Atlantic immature as it was Halloween and not super big. It had lots of seeds, but the seeds were also immature. They would probably have tons of seeds at bigger sizes. Mine was probably

• lizzslilies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

how do you know if they are edible or not?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

how do you know if they are edible or not?

The pumpkins or the seeds? All pumpkins are edible. Some are just better than others.

Seeds - look at the seeds in any kind of fruit. Some seeds never develop or mature so with pumpkins they would not be edible.

Hulled seeds in some varieties of pumpkins (more so in the giants) are often hollow or very small - they never develop or mature. That is why if eating seeds is the goal then hulless varieties are best.

Dave

• lizzslilies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the info!

• runswithscissors
    11 years ago

I'v grown several types of pumpkins. My favs so far: Goosebumps -- nice and big and look just like the pictures. Kids love the warts.
    Little wee pumpkins are so cute, but my vines seemed to snake all over the place and they were so spindly and spiney. Burpee's Jack o'lantern is my favorite. It grows a nice medium size and the perfect shape and color for halloween. Has great seeds for roasting and altho the vines are vigorous it puts out alot of pumpkins.

Atlantic Dill...this pumpkin grew huge! Yes, I know that's the point, but the plant itself grew huge and I only got one giant ugly, flat, immovable blob. No record holder, in fact not even close...but way too big for me to move.

For a big huge handable pumpkin that stay's fairly round and orange, I go to Wyatts Wonder. The vines grow huge too but I've found that once it's growing 3 or 4 pumpkins you can just keep the vines pruned close to those pumpkins for the rest of the year. I only pruned 3 times before harvest. Even in Montana I had nice big 50 pounders.

Something odd I noticed. After I set up my halloween display, using the different pumpkins, the deer ate my wyatts wonders leaving all other gourds, squash and pumpkins alone. They just gobbled them up! I had to get my seeds before the deer ate them. Lot's of big seeds that roast up well, and germinate the next spring if dried properly! I love this pumpkin too.

• lizzslilies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the sound of the wyatts wonder. Do you know of any place that might sell the seeds in store? or do would I need to order them off the website?