Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queen_gardener

Potatoes in cabinet sprouting

queen_gardener
9 years ago

Hello,
I would love to do something with the potatoes that are really growing in my cabinet. I just didn't get to them in time because I'd bought both Idaho and Red, and the red ones are going to town! Can I do anything with them now, or is this a lost cause?
Thanks!

Comments (6)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    9 years ago

Your taters should be fine as long as there are no overly soft, dark, greenish, or rotten spots. Ours that we harvested back in late July are sprouting too, the sweet ones too. We just snap them off and peel and inspect the interiors before cooking. Whole Bakers are surprises but almost always good in texture and flavor (Yukon Golds). Even stored in complete darkness doesn't help stop the sprouting here.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Not a lost cause. They can still be used cooked or you can freeze or can them. Instructions for both freezing and canning are available at NCHFP and over on the Harvest Forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are getting a bit soft. I'd love to plant them, because next year I would like to grow my own potatoes. How do people keep seed potatoes through the winter? I have never grown potatoes, maybe someone could walk me through it.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

The link below is to a discussion that took place earlier this year.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing potatoes for seed potatoes?

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

You likely are better off getting potatoes in March that are not so soft and sprouted.

Potatoes like a loose sandy loam soil. Really heavy soils are not good potato soil. Potatoes also do best in the cooler regions of our country, but if all other things are right, they will still do fairly good in Indiana...especially the northern part.. Ohio too.

I put the potatoes out in some light and warmth at the end of March. Ideally they should have only short sprouts that quickly green up in the light.

I dig a trench about 6 inches deep in the middle of April and scatter some slow acting organic fertilizer [Tomato Tone] in the trench and till that up. I plant either medium whole potatoes or cut up larger ones in two pieces. I place these down a bit into the loose soil. I also put a ring of faster acting fertilizer in a circle around and slightly below the seed piece. I very lightly cover the piece at this time due to likely heavy rains here at this time and so that they can emerge quickly.

If you have a hard frost after the sprouts are starting to show, pull a bit of soil over them. Depending on the weather, you can flick the dirt off when it is safe

I pull some dirt around the 5 inch plants. Later I pull some more around them making a ridge...if planted deeply enough, you don;t need or want a high ridge.

Let the plants fully die off before digging unless you are so jumpy that you steal a few early...but don't dig up the plants at that time. Leave the potatoes in the ground until you need them to eat. Finally, they have to be dug before the ground freezes. Spray wash and dry them a few days and store in the darkest and coolest place that doesn't freeze.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

You likely are better off getting potatoes in March that are not so soft and sprouted.

Potatoes like a loose sandy loam soil. Really heavy soils are not good potato soil. Potatoes also do best in the cooler regions of our country, but if all other things are right, they will still do fairly good in Indiana...especially the northern part.. Ohio too.

I put the potatoes out in some light and warmth at the end of March. Ideally they should have only short sprouts that quickly green up in the light.

I dig a trench about 6 inches deep in the middle of April and scatter some slow acting organic fertilizer [Tomato Tone] in the trench and till that up. I plant either medium whole potatoes or cut up larger ones in two pieces. I place these down a bit into the loose soil. I also put a ring of faster acting fertilizer in a circle around and slightly below the seed piece. I very lightly cover the piece at this time due to likely heavy rains here at this time and so that they can emerge quickly.

If you have a hard frost after the sprouts are starting to show, pull a bit of soil over them. Depending on the weather, you can flick the dirt off when it is safe

I pull some dirt around the 5 inch plants. Later I pull some more around them making a ridge...if planted deeply enough, you don;t need or want a high ridge.

Let the plants fully die off before digging unless you are so jumpy that you steal a few early...but don't dig up the plants at that time. Leave the potatoes in the ground until you need them to eat. Finally, they have to be dug before the ground freezes. Spray wash and dry them a few days and store in the darkest and coolest place that doesn't freeze.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional