Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Immortal cucumber?

Posted by EricEngelmann 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 13:50

My first year growing cucumbers. Had a very nice (rather overwhleming) harvest of pickling and salad varieties, but missed one cuke and it grew to quite a large size. Very pretty, too. Took it in to show the wife, who dutifully oohed and aahed and put it in the kitchen counter fruit bowl to forget about until it rots (sadly, that's how we roll). Noticed two months later that it still looked fresh-picked. It's been five months now and still no sign of wrinkling or rot. No other cuke, or even winter squash, I've ever seen has done this. Mine is strictly an organic hobby garden, so no weird chemicals in play. Should I look for a team of ag scientists or cut it open myself and plant its seeds? Does it just think it's a gourd?

This post was edited by EricEngelmann on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 9:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Immortal cucumber?

It would be very helpful if we could see a picture or two.

o

Seeds to save should be taken from a fully mature cucumber. When a cucumber is mature it will be yellow in color.

If your cucumber is fully mature remove the seeds, mix them with water and allow them to ferment for about 5 days. Then decant the water and rinse with clean water, repeating the process until the seeds are clean. Blot the seeds dry and let them complete drying on a paper plate.

Jim

o

I love cucumber. It would be nice if you will upload its pic :) . .

o

Are your sure it's not an Armenian cucumber? They last and last.

o

>Are your sure it's not an Armenian cucumber? They last and last.

It was the last cucumber picked from a vine that produced lots of normal salad cukes. Sorry, don't know the exact name, but nothing exotic, I'm sure.

o

Thanks for the helpful pic.

The size, yellowish coloration and the fact that has not shriveled or decayed indicates this is a mature cucumber. It most likely has viable seeds.

Jim

o

Its been sitting on your table for over FIVE MONTHS? That's hilarious.

o

Okay, definitely not an Armenian.

o

I must say your house is a very good vege storing facility.

o

>I must say your house is a very good vege storing
>facility.

Probably same as most, though the wife buys fancy air filtration systems that may cut down on spore transmission. I gave it a good shaking last night to feel/hear seeds shaking (as you would a dried gourd). Nothing. I'll definitely plant seeds from this and see if my cuke's offspring can start a revolution in cuke storage and transport.

o

It is a normal cucumber and this is how cucumbers used to behave. When my grandma wanted to save seeds she would just put one on a dry windowsill to ripen (no way any would ripen in the garden with the short summers we got). It would sometimes take months to swell roundish and get yellow on the outside and liquid on the inside and smell ripe. Cucumbers will rot from excessive moisture, poor air circulation, broken or simply thin skin, too much nitrogen when growing.
Yours is a healthy well-kept specimen, that is all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here