Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laccinato Kale

Posted by jspringer4 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 14:42

Went down to my community garden plot and something or someone had ripped off all of the leaves on my kale plants, including the tops. Does anyone know if kale leaves will grow from lower on the stem if the tops are gone, or am I kale-less for the rest of the year? :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laccinato Kale

It is 'possible' depending on the extent of the damage and how well established the plant root system. But the odds are no better than 50:50 in my experience. Plus the rabbits usually beat me to the new growth.

It's not too late to start some more.

Dave

o

Show a pic. I have had Kale that had not foliage whatsoever just a stem. And it grew a whole head of leaves again.

o

I've noticed with my kale plants that it's pretty hard to kill them off (at least in my experience) just by topping and taking all the leaves. Mine would produce more side shoots and leaves in no time.

Good luck! Sorry to hear something happened to your greens :C

o

I keep forgetting to take my phone with me when I go down there, so still no pictures. The brussels sprouts that were mangled at the same time are done for, I think. The kale, though, has some tiny leaves starting to sprout along the stems. Yay!

I think it must have been some sort of brassica loving animal. I had carrots, beets, alliums, and one lonely lettuce in my plot that weren't touched and the only other damage in the whole garden was to the lady's plot next to mine who had some small broccoli or cauliflower plants that were eaten down to the soil.

o

If it wasn't human thieves, it might have been deer. They love my kale and collards too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here