Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
festus47

Winter squash/pumpkin harvest 2009

festus47
14 years ago

Here is part of my winter squash/pumpkin harvest for 2009. This was not the best year for gardening in north central Ill due to later than normal wet spring and cooler and wet summer. I did have a good squash harvest though and was even able to grow a few maximas.

{{gwi:133392}}

Starting at the upper left is the Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin. This squash has several shapes and many like a large butternut. Very good and is keeping well. Some of these get 10-12 lbs. We usually cook all of this or any squash and freeze what we don't eat. Thanks George! I got 400-500 lbs of squash off of 3 hills.

Next is Uncle Dave's Dakota Dessert. This is a buttercup type. I was really disappointed in this squash. It was extremely dry. almost flakey. Not what I expected in a buttercup. Maybe I will try the Burgess strain. Anyone have any comments on this type squash?

Next is Sibley and I can see why the woman in Mo. raised this for over 50 years. This is an excellent squash. It cooks up perfectly for my taste, is an excellent keeper and is one of my favorite maximas, along with Lakota, which I did not grow this year.

Next is Futtsu. Very good squash, prolific and is keeping well.

This next is Guatamala Blue Banana. Excellent producer and cooks up well but you will need an ax to cut it. I could not cut it with a knife without the aid of a wooden mallet.

The bottom row left puzzles me as I bought this as Amish Pie Pumpkin but it does not look like any picture I have seen of APP. The large one is 35 lbs but a grey-green instead of a buff-orange. Any thoughts as to what this might be?

The next is Greek Sweet Red. This was a late setting squash and about one third came loose from the stem before maturing and they are not keeping very well.

This next group of 8 squash in 3 shapes is Seminole. I did not know there was so much variation. I thought they all looked like the small tear shaped squash in Amy Goldman's book. The large ones are not keeping well as they are starting to spoil from the stem end. They did set late so maybe they were not quite mature.

Next is Potimarron. A smaller squash that I have not tried yet. Not too prolific for me but I lost 2 plants.

Next is Canada Crookneck. this is a great squash. Excellent texture and tastes great. Very prolific but a few did have split necks but I think that was from too much water this summer.

Last is Mrs. Amerson's. Later setting and the one I tried was not as good as a few of the others but will try another later. Keeping well.

Thats it for this year. Next year I will probably plant Warsaw and Canada Crookneck for moschata and Sibley for a maxima. I possibly will try a Kobacha.

We did make a trip to The Great Pumpkin Patch at Arthur, IL this fall and we picked up a Dickinson squash and my wife made the best pumpkin pie I have had so I will probably get some of those seeds from Sand Hill.

Jack

Comments (14)

• lantanascape
    14 years ago

Very nice, thanks for sharing! You're inspiring me to find some space for winter squash next year. The one buttercup I tried to grow this year was done in by squash bugs shortly after setting fruit. The Sibley sounds really intriguing. I need to figure out how to get my husband to start eating squash. Sometimes I'll make squash for me and a potato for him, but still don't eat it near as often as if he liked it, too.

Great harvest, and nice reviews on all of these. Thanks!

• festus47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lantanascape

I know what you mean. My wife loves summer squash but will not touch winter squash unless made into pumpkin pie. My grown children and I love it. We just steam or bake it and mash it up like mashed potatoes and sometimes put some brown sugar on but the Sibley does not need anything. I told my wife to just mix some pumpkin pie spice in it but no go.

Jack

• whgille
    14 years ago

Beautiful set of winter squash, thanks for the lesson. Can you give a source for Futtsu and Sibley?

I will like to grow them in the future based on your wonderful review.

Silvia

• skeip
    14 years ago

What a great display, and thanks for the ideas for next year. Regarding the Amish Pie Pumpkin. I have grown it for several years, saving the seed each year. What originally attracted me to it was that blusih coloring. Some years they are, some years they aren't, this year in sounthern WI, Madison area, mine were as buff / orange as your pictured Mrs. Amersons. That's half the fun of saving seed, you never quite know what you are going to get. It could also be cultural, mine are in a bed that used to be shaded by 40 yr old spruce trees and the soil is still fairly acidic. Maybe they are bluer in more alkaline soil?

Steve

• mauirose
    14 years ago

OMG, 400-500#s from three hills?!? That's amazing. And your wife doesn't like squash!

How many plants to a hill? How much space do the vines take up? How far apart are the hills?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a handle on that.

• mailman22
    14 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. 400 lbs!!!
    Tell us more!

• knittlin
    14 years ago

Me, three! Four hundred pounds from three hills?! Amazing! I'm growing that one next year. I'm with Mauirose in wanting to know how big the vines get so I know how much room to give it.

Thank you for posting that spread with all the descriptions, Jack. Very informative, and beautiful as well. I see three I want to grow next year ~ Warsaw, Sibley and Amish Pie. The Amish sounds like it might be a "pH plant" like hydrangeas. That'd be a hoot if it is.

• weirdtrev
    14 years ago

I think you may have had some other seed mixed in with your Seminole pumpkins. I believe that the bottom three and right two are Seminole but the left three large ones that you say aren't storing well look more like 'La Estrella'

{{gwi:133393}}

Though the image is kind of small and not the best for identification.

• festus47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry for not responding sooner but our internet connection has been down soon after I posted this. Dial up goes down when it rains or snows much and we just finished a big snowstorm.

Silvia

I got the Futtsu from Sand Hill and the Sibley from Baker Creek. I also saw Sibley at Fedco but not Futtsu.

I saw a post by you last year and you had a squash that I think you called Seminole and it looks like my 3 Seminole to the left of my group of 8. Weirdtrev says they look like a squash called 'La Estrella'. What do you think and where did you get your seed?

My problem is that I had Seminole seed from 3 sources. Sand Hill, Fedco, and Baker Creek. I had opened all 3 packs over the past 2 years but none matured in 08 so I don't know which one was which. I had one hill of about 4 seeds of the one that looks like La Estrella and harvested 20 squash at 12-17 lbs each so it was a good producer but most did set late.

Steve

You may be right about the ph. My soil runs about 6-6.3 but I thought Amish Pie was more strawberry shaped and mine was more flattened but not as much as a Long Island Cheese.

Mauirose

I planted 2 hills about 10 feet apart and had about 4 plants per hill. I had one other hill about 500 feet away as I don't like them together due to bug problems here. They spread out about 25 feet but if they get too close to something else I just prune them back.

Mailman22

I just had a good year I guess. We also have fertile soil here being in the heart of the corn belt( I am a farmer also). The ground I used this year has not had a crop of any kind for 10 years also.

Knittlin

Maybe I will try Amish Pie from another seed source and see if I get the same thing.

I got my Warsaw seed from George McLaughlin(AKA Macmex)
    I think George also named the squash.

I also have some seed as I hand pollinated several squash but I don't have many of the round ones like he has.

Weirdtrev

Thanks for the input on the Seminole. I didn't think there would be that much variation.

What information can you give me on the 'La Estrella'? I have not heard of that one. I think I know where my seed came from so I may contact them to see if anyone has had the same results.

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Festus

Thank you for the info on the winter squash varieties. I am a lifetime eater of winter squash and had sample a lot of varieties. As far as growing them, I am fairly new.

My first try was when I moved to Florida 2 years ago. And I saved the seeds and share them friends here, nobody was aware about this squash. A lot of people tried it this past season and got the same thing that I got. At that time, it was my only squash growing.

Real seminole or not, made some good eatings, just baked, in soups or breads.:o)

{{gwi:133394}}

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: seminole pumpkin source

• dkh2
    13 years ago

I have one similar to the one in the bottom left of the picture
    There is a link to the picture
    I grew a giant pumpkin and a Acorn Squash showed up on it's own and I tossed it into the compost pile and this is what grew out this year

Here is a link that might be useful: Any Idea What This Is ?

• Zeak Rice
    10 years ago

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/archive/index.php/t-330221.html FORUM
    Woodchuck: "Fruit is variable in form; may be nearly round, oblate, oval, oblong or pear-shaped, sometimes with a curved neck; ranges in size from 5 in. wide or long, to 1 ft. or more in width or length. Some specimens are more or less distinctly ribbed. Fruits of different form may occur on the same plant. Large fruits weigh 6 to 8 lbs. Skin color is usually yellow-buff or dull-orange, often with pale or whitish spots or streaks; some fruits are partly or largely striped with green or green-and-white. Flesh is thick, orange to reddish-orange, succulent, usually of rich, winter-squash flavor, varying in sweetness. Seeds are white with a distinct, yellowish margin when dry; oval, nearly flat, 5/8 in. long."

• markwv
    10 years ago

I would like to try Mrs.Amerson winter squash for this year's garden. Any comments on this variety for growing ,taste an keeping?

• festus47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

markwv
    I did not care too much for the Mrs Amerson but I only grew it one year and it could do well in your area. I got my seed from Sand Hill. Does not keep as well as a maxima.

My favorite so far is Canada Crookneck for a moschata and Sibley for a maxima but maximas are harder to grow here in the midwest. I only got three last year before the SVB got them. The others that set did not mature.

Our other favorite is Dickenson, a Moschata that I believe Libby used for their pumpkin. That is what we use it for; pumpkin pie, pumpkin bars, pumpkin bread, etc. Seed from Sand Hill. There is also a hybrid called Buckskin but I only see it from NE Seed. I usually try one or two new varieties each year so might try Sunshine this year and maybe Bucksin, but we really like the Dickenson.

I am really getting spring fever as this has been a cold snowy winter. Monday will be -20 and more snow tomorrow. Lp prices have skyrocketed.

DKH2

Looks similar to sweat meat but that is a maxima and your pumpkin-acorn squash would be c pepo more than likely. I had a cross with my Sibley last year so must isolate or hand pollinate.