Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naat_gw

Uzbek Melons, any members from Uzbekistan?

naat
11 years ago

Year ago or maybe more, After a family member asked me to grow for her Uzbek melons
I went on a quest to find them, But somehow I was out of luck with that
The closest available to the specifics she remembered were melons from Afghanistan, Available at B.C
they also have Uzbek sweetens melon seeds, but it was out of stock wile placing the order last year
Among the crop of dozen varieties of melons last year
That Afghan melon had the best taste
It was not just sweeter than other melons, it just tasted better
Few different people who tasted it confirmed he had the best
taste and texture compared to the other melons
Something between Watermelon to melon, just better.
Flesh was green with slight color change, like green marble
Even at season end those melons were odorless from outside and did not show any will to slip from the vine
My relative admitted, they reminded her Uzbek melons
But not exactly what she remembered
From what I've gathered Surxondaryo province who sit on the Afghan border grows different melons than Xorazm province
and the melons she remembered probably came from Xorazm
or karakalpakstan
Of course it is a mere shot in the dark, But she might have refer to the Non gusht melons
That way or an other, melons from Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan caught my curiosity, but even wile searching on the net using broken Russian or Uzbek, those melons just sailing further and further away from me, fading beyond the horizon
If there is a someone from Uzbekistan reading that post
Or if there is someone who ever grew Uzbek melons
and has seeds photos or information to share, I'm certain
more people than just me will be interested to Hear

Here a photo from: http://jobs-org.ru/?m=201202
It shows melon looking a bit like the Afghan honeydew
but it has salmon colored pulp

Comments (31)

• thegreatcob
    11 years ago

Uzbekistan does not very good connection to internet.

• naat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For westerner, Central Asian countries are not always easy to find through the internet, that is right.
    Many Uzbek's can speak Russian,and others can speak English
    at least in big populated areas.
    To my understanding Uzbekistan is better connected than Turkmenistan.
    Not so long ago a nice person from Uzbekistan named Ravshan was writing in that same forum, so it is a matter of coincidence as well.
    Uzbek melons were also grown in the USA, David Karp was writing few articles about it, I did contacted him and few others: Balakian Farms, Ruben Mkrtchyan, and others I cannot recall, Most of them were very kind, others did not reapply.
    I'm certain that at least on a small scale, seeds of Uzbek melons are circulating in the US, and probably few of those melons can be found where there is a community who yearn for them.
    If no one will participate, I'll try to maintain that thread every once in a wile.
    I have more than enough melon varieties, much more than I can grow in one season, but growing melons without growing the famous Uzbek ones, it seems to be somewhat lacking.
    If not mistaking The photo shows "Melon Torpedo" or Mirzachul, I read a review from Uzbek blogger, describing its taste as almost similar to the Turkish famous kirkagac
    The photo is from that article:
    http://www.anons.uz/article/society/8032/

I had to edit the post as the Russian and Turkish names were not displayed properly

This post was edited by naat on Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 5:05

• teauteau
    11 years ago

I saw these listings in Baker Creek Seeds Catalogue.

http://rareseeds.com/uzbek-sweetness-melon.html Uzbek Sweetness

http://rareseeds.com/afghan-honeydew-melon.html
    Afghan honeydew

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

I will go through my melon seed in a week or two and see if I have any that might fit your description. If you could find a photo or a description that is more detailed, that would help considerably. Meantime, take a look through these pages.

seedzoo

DarJones

• naat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

teauteau, you are right, I have mentioned it in the opening post.
    The Afghan melon is exceptionally tasty, the other one was out of stock last season, and According to the description
    the Uzbek Sweetness is not what I'm after
    There are seeds available also from other melon referred to as: Uzbek-Russian melon
    and I'm not yet certain if it is an Russian version of the Mirzachul or something completely different, from what I have read in Russian gardening forum, people who knows the Uzbek melons say that Mirzachul is not the same as Uzbek-Russian melon, that make sense, the real Mirzachul and other great Uzbek melons, will take longer season to mature.

If you pick up Uzbek telephone guide, pick up a random number,
    than call there in the middle of the night, and ask an adult from that household which is the best melon,
    Than, apart for blaming you for the late call, they may lecture you till dawn, about different varieties grown in different places, in different seasons, and which is better for drying, and such and so.

completely and utterly a world within itself covered by melons.

Few of the melons I'm searching for were cultivated in California
    in the following link there are few articles on that subject

Here is a link that might be useful: articles about melons from latimes

• naat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fusion_power, thank you, I'll search for better description, few months ago there was a guy from Uzbekistan posting in that forum, named Ravshan, I missed a replay he sent me 3 months ago with names of preferred melons varieties, The one my relative described from her childhood in Uzbekistan was elongated, slightly pointy at the ends , netted, with alternate colors and spots
    she said it had orange or salmon colored pulp,
    and a bit crispy in a pleasant succulent way (as opposed to "uncooked potato" type of crispiness)
    not sure if that was the Non gusht, as I never seen a picture,
    it should have the shape of "Afghan honeydew" maybe larger in size, and more colorful on the outside.

• naat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From what I've gathered, the closest by shape, popularity, and taste is the orange version of the shakarpalak
    it is named: Kizil shakarpalak
    the photo is from:melons in Uzbekistan, (Google books)
    other ones Ravshan mentioned for their superb taste were:
    obinovvot, bosvoldi, kukcha, regular shakarpalak,Mirzachul
    I have read that in California, attempts were made to grow at least two of them on commercial scale those were:
    Mirzachul and obinovvot

• teauteau
    11 years ago

Naat,
    Sorry for duplication of information in my last posting. I get excited reading about produce that is new to me!

Have you contacted Seed Savers Exchange? They might be able to help you locate your melons. They have a lot of information about thousands of heirloom and open pollinated melons. They have members from all over the world and a giant seed bank that you may be able to get access too if you become a member. Here's a link: http://www.seedsavers.org/

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

See if any of these ring any bells.

Abunabat
    Buri kalla
    Obinnovvot
    Guliabi Orange
    Sarik-Kaun
    Hangaliak-kokca
    Emiri - Lebap
    TASHLAKY
    Khalt Khol

Darjones

• naat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

teauteau:
    seed savers exchange may bee good place for searching
    for the time being I'm using Google translate and writing in Russian speaking forums

Darjones:
    Yes it is ringing numerous Christmas bells
    Very Impressive melon seeds collection from that part of the globe, you must have been busy.
    I'm not familiar with few of those names.
    But have tried to gather some information before replying
    The Emiri and Tashlaki: are closest to the description, with different pulp color (Cucumis melo var. ameri)
    Hangaliak-kokca: Assuming it is not the famous kokcha?, cylinder shape up to 10 pounds, very sweet?
    Abunabat: couldn't find about it anything but a photo in tweeter, round with alternate colors?
    Obinnovvot: the most famous after Mirzachul, was grown in Mississippi and California
    Guliabi Orange: Assuming it is an winter storage melon (Cucumis melo var. zard)?
    Khalt Khol, Sarik-Kaun: Did not find anything about it just that seeds were brought to the US from Samarkand at 1989
    Buri kalla: Two variations, Makhalliy buri-kallya and Ola buri-kallya (Cucumis melo var. chandalak )
    Did you grew all of those in the past, and are they available?

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

I know where to get them. I will see if they can be obtained. If so, I will send you a message and arrange to forward a few seed to you.

Interestingly, I found one item that is described as red fleshed. Are there any red fleshed Uzbek melons?

DarJones

• naat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Red.. sounds interesting, I have never heard of Uzbek melon with red pulp
    Was the description written by someone who grew that variety, or collected the seeds?
    Uzbek melons who has orange pulp or skin may have the word "Qizil" added to their name
    Although in Uzbek "Qizil" means red, they refer more to orange colored pulp or skin
    "qizg'ish" means orange color
    "to'q sariq" can be orange as well
    "sariq" is yellow
    "pushti" means pink
    "yashil" means green
    Dark orange is the closest to red I can think of
    Thanks, If it'll work out I'll wait for that message.

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Naat, I have the seed in and can send you samples. Please send me an email with your physical address.

DarJones

• naat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for those uplifting news
    email sent

• happyballz
    11 years ago

fusion_power,
    I actually have been looking for Uzbek melons since last year. Do you mind sending me some as well?
    I can transfer funds for postage by pay-pal if you like.

I actually got hold of ravshan awhile ago but he replied after some while, so I only got to the email months after his reply since it got barried by spam. lol

I will try to contact him again.

• glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.
    9 years ago

Just came across his thread and I too am trying to track down some of these famous Uzbek melon varieties. I have started out with the Uzbek sweetness offered by baker creek. I would really like to acquire some others for spring planting 2015.

Glenn

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Growing melons in z5a? That's no easy trick..

• glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.
    9 years ago

pnbrown, I have been growing various melons since 2006. the first few years I merely started indoors and planted out then depending on the season would have varying degree's of success dependant on variety. The last few years I get boat loads even with our very strange short and cool year we had this year. I fabricated a bunch of 4x8 mini green houses which go over top of either garbage bags or black weed barrier. I must pay close attention to the weather forecasts as it can get so hot inside it totally fries everything if I don't open the ends on a 70-75F day it can get well into the hundreds.
    I have gone a little melon crazy and this fall/winter I will be fabbing up even more bigger homes for some of the more rampant growers who love heat. I haven't even finished harvesting this years crop and I am already getting a whole acre dedicated to growing melons prepped.

Glenn

• Frank Davis
    5 years ago

Howdy all Uzbek melon lovers I'm growing 2 archers of them as we speak. here in Kountze Texas. I can be reached at 409 673 6425

• garybeaumont_gw
    5 years ago

Frank, have you grown them before? I was wondering how bad they split. Tried to grow some charentais in Beaumont a few years ago and they all split about a week before they were ripe (15 on a couple of plants.) I now live in Buna.

Gary

• Mokinu
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You mentioned '"Melon Torpedo" or Mirzachul'. I think that's likely the same melon as Torpeda, a melon from Uzbekistan, which I got from Baker Creek. I'm growing it, this year. I've got a seedling now. I hear it can take a long time to mature. I'm curious if that holds true in hot, dry climates with lots of sun.

I'm growing it for its taste/size, and appearance. I hear it tastes pretty good.

• Frank Davis
    5 years ago

Gary if the plants are watered to much they will split I've had good luck with the drip irrigation and I put antifungal into the water I'm dripping

• garybeaumont_gw
    5 years ago

As you know sometimes in SE Texas you get moisture whether you want it or not. The charentais split from rainfall, never watered them. It was one of those years that it rained every 3 or 4 days. The other cantaloupe did not split. I plant to try the Uzbek if I can get the seeds in time. It is getting late, but maybe it will be drier when the melons start to ripen.

• Frank Davis
    5 years ago

Hey brother my first 24 plants I planted in March shriveled up so I put some more seedlings in there place in May. I have learned that these melons adapt well and thrive if you do this 1. Before planting the seed I keep mine in the freezer, thaw for a day then put them in warm well water until they start to crack open 2. While there still wet spread them out on a towel to dry a little then put in a zip lock bag and add 2 table of antifungal powder shake it Good. 3. I like to use the 3x3" square starter pot and be sure to use mirical grow potting soil, 4. Place the treated seed in the center @ 1 1/2" deep ( under the moon phase of Scorpio ) 5. Important fact ! These melons grow in the desert So they must be planted in very loose sandy soil with a ph of 6.5 so do a ph test and adjust if need be. 6. Transplant the seedlings in May or June as they just will not grow below 85 f. Into a mound about 12" tall & 3 dia.( Secret ) I put my mounds together in February using 3 tbsp. Of triple 13 fertilize & a 1/4 cup of cotton seed meal about an inch above it. Let's that set and rot into the soil. I use the wire flags to mark my spot. When my seedlings are ready in late May I remove the flag,dig down to the decayed meal and place an empty 3lb. Folgers coffee can in the center and rake loose soil around it and pack it a little pull the can out and fill with the potting soil add the seedling in the middle. 7. Water real good using a root stimulater mix then about every other day for a week. When runners reach 3 ft. Add 2 more tbsp. Of fertilize to soil around the base 3" away from stem and bring soil into and around plant mix antifungal powder to water n pour about a cup to plant. 8. Do not water anymore unless the leaves wilt if they do just add a pint or so. Oh and 1 other thing plant some cucumbers nearby they love the taste of cucumber pollen and will help bring in the bee's to pollinate the female flowers. Call me 409 673 6425 if you need me.

• Mokinu
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Deserts are known to have clay, too. I don't know about this breed of muskmelon*, but many muskmelons thrive in clay in desert-like situations as long as they have the proper nutrients and a good start before the late spring/summer. Potassium seems to be a nutrient they love in particular. They don't seem to mind alkaline conditions particularly, either.

I could see clay in a humid and wet climate being a possible issue, though, but I haven't gardened in a place like that.

Watermelons, on the other hand, don't seem so fond of compact soils, comparatively, except for Citron watermelons (which I note are wild in the desert).

*The definition of muskmelon I'm using is anything that belongs to the C. melo species (including cantaloupes, honeydews, Armenian cucumbers, etc.)

• avgusta_gw
    5 years ago

No cucumber should be planted near uzbek or any other melons! It could spoil taste of that marvelous melon . Instead of super sweet, honey-like aroma, you will get very bland fruit. It won't have even cucumber's flavor.

In Uzbekistan, no cucumber is allowed near their melon fields.

Melons like very dry air and hot sun. No watering should happens after they start to turn yellow.

• avgusta_gw
    5 years ago

My comment was on Frank Davis's advice to plant cucumbers nearby melons.

• Mokinu
    5 years ago

Oh, sorry! I'll delete my comment while I still can.

• Mokinu
    5 years ago

I hear some plants can alter the taste of others. I mean, like growing basil by tomatoes is said to improve the taste. Is that kind of what you mean?

Or are you talking about cross-pollination? I have a friend who showed me a picture of something she said was a cross between a cucumber and a melon in her garden from the previous year. It looked like a solid dark green watermelon on the outside (it was the size of a watermelon, too), but it wasn't a watermelon.

Cucumber-melon crosses aren't proven to the masses to occur, however, insofar as I've found, although a lot of people say they'll cross. If only they'd save seeds of them for proof! But most people strive with all their might to avoid the crosses, or else discard them as worthless when they seem to happen. I'd be curious to grow them out (not just the F1 generation, since the F2+ probably have a lot more potential to be sweet or else cucumber-like).

Armenian cucumbers are so much like cucumbers in some regards that I wonder if they actually have some cucumber in their ancestry.

• avgusta_gw
    5 years ago

I talk about cross-pollination. I don't know how much seeds will change genetically, but taste of flesh around them will worsen dramatically.

I talk only about melons and cucumber. Watermelons for sure, and probably cantaloupes are not affected by cross-pollination with cucumbers.

• garybeaumont_gw
    5 years ago

Frank,

Grew the Tarpeta melon from Baker creek. I have 3 good sized melons. I was wondering how you tell when they are ripe. They are the size of a small watermelon. Do they change color to a lighter yellow or brown. Or do they stay about the same color.

It would be good if they slipped off the vine like a cantaloupe, but with my luck it will be a little more difficult.