Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cploch_gw

Gardening over Septic Fields

CPloch
9 years ago

I've read several forums regarding the cons of placing a vegetable garden over an active Septic Field. We connected to city water three years ago and the best place for a garden in our yard is over the old Septic Field. Here is my question: Has it been enough time to safely plant vegetables over the Septic Field or should we NEVER use this land for vegetable gardening?

Comments (7)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

I believe that any pathogen from the system that's capable of hurting humans was taken care of long ago via all those voraciously helpful little bacteria and fungi, and even nematodes for macroparasites.

Septic people installing alternate-field discharge systems seem to go with two years as a safe length of time to fully rehab a leaching field. Some say one year.

You might ask the National Environmental Services Center at West Virginia University as they seem to be experts in septic policy and systems. "If you have a wastewater problem or question, contact our technical assistants at (800) 624-8301"

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

It will boil down to your choice given the wide variety of opinions on the issue. There is evidence supporting both sides - the pros and cons of doing it.

My personal opinion is since studies out of UC Davis shows e. coli and other bacteria can remain active in composting soil for several years and since no two septic systems are the same quality and the only absolute safety would come from extensive and expensive soil testing, I'd build a raised bed in the area rather than plant directly in the previously contaminated soil.

Dave

• springroz
    9 years ago

Mine is planted over the existing septic field....I never would have dreamed it would run the way it does, but in the drought last year I figured out why part of my garden was so green and weedy.

This was the second year to garden there. It was the previous owner's garden, also. We have remained healthy, but I am watching the thread!

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned after 3 years. But I wouldn't grow any root veggies, stick with the fruiting kind, IMHO, for a couple more years.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Link below is to 3 previous discussions here about this question in case you haven't read them. There are many more on the other forums here the search will pull up if interested.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Septic/Leach garden issue

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

crikey ...

how deep is the field ...

and will anything you grow on top ... get their roots .... to the actual depth ...

mine is 2 to 3 feet down .. in sand ... and water doesnt leach upwards ...

so i simply dont see what difference it could make ...

as with wells ... someone in the county ought to have access to permit/installation information ... i think i tracked my well info thru the county health dept ... [i had started by calling well drillers .. there are only 3 in the county .... until one of them gave me the lead .. you might try the same with septic installers]

once you have some actual facts... THEN ... you might get some actual relevant advice ..

and... maybe the health dept peeps will have info ...

good luck

ken

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

I will start this by saying this is just conjecture on my part, I do not know enough to be sure. I wonder about heavy metals and it may be worth it to you have the soil tested by a place that specifically tests for heavy metals that could have concentrated in the site, depending on how long the septic was used. The potential risk could be somewhat lessened by using raised beds but as it is my family's health/well-being on the line, I would prefer to have more definitive data before proceeding.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES