Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wet 10-10-10

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 16:04

I store my fertilizers outside. My 10-10-10 got wet shortly after I bought t. Can I still use it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wet 10-10-10

Yeah, its fine. They're just chemicals, a bag of salt doesn't go bad if you get it wet, neither will your chemical fertilizer.

o

If you have access to some powdered gypsum, add a little to the 10-10-10 and mix thoroughly (say, about a tbsp per 4 cups). Seal up the bag reasonably well and you won't have the problem. At the same time, you'll add a little extra Ca and Mg to your soil when you fertilize!

o

Yeah the only problem with it is distributing it evenly rather than in clumps. If you will be planting in it soon after distribution watch out for hot pockets where it was a little too thick.

Dave

o

One problem, The N component will leach if it sits wet very long.

o

Steve...gypsum provides Ca and S. Dolomite is comprised of Ca and Mg. I don't know why one would add either in this situation.

o

Won't the wet fertilizer cake when it dries? It may be difficult to repulverize it.

Jim

o

Sorry, my bad about the gypsum, you are correct about the Ca and S--but it's still the right thing to do. You use rather little (remember, the powdered stuff is quite fluffy) and it coats the fertilizer granules (sort of like flouring raisins before you put them into batters--which, by the way, is not a good idea IMO), and so vastly slows the deliquescence, which is the real problem. Left unchecked, a large portion of the bag/box of fertilizer will liquefy.

So, coat the granules with a little gypsum and then seal up the fertilizer in a plastic bag or something--better if you can roll out the air as you use up the stuff.

I do this with a fertilizer I mix myself which is stored in quart-sized plastic jars, so I can't even exclude moist air, and it works great. The granules stay free-flowing and don't get gooey. Garden seems to be just fine, so I don't think the little bit of gypsum is doing any harm.

o

Thanks everyone for your help!! How can I store it better outside?

o

I store mine in a 5 gallon bucket with the lid on it.

o

I've used cheap plastic household trash buckets with tops and heavy duty yard trash bags.

o

I store my potting soil in cat litter buckets and that is wet too. I guess I need to switch to another kind of fertilizer. Any advice what to use? I don't have alot of money to spend.

o

I'd take char from my woodash and mix it with the clumped fertilizer, add more water to blend it all together and let it sit covered until spring to charge the char. That way you get some long-term use out of the synthesized chemfert rather than having it leach away quickly in the Georgia sand.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 14:39

The problem is pulverization of the char, though a hand cranked meat grinder would be enough (I do not have one).

I buy 50 lbs of urea every 10-12 years. By year 6 is it is a rock, even though it is in the shed all the time. I have a pick to break pieces, and I dissolve them in water, then water out of a can. Not perfect, but who wants to drive for an hour to the nearest Ag Supply store?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here