Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

What kind of garden do you have?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

I haven't posted much on this forum, but I am planning to have a vegetable garden next year and would like some input. What kind of vegetable garden do you have? Do you have a traditional row garden, blocks of plantings, raised beds, more of a kitchen garden, a potager? Do you plant strictly vegetables, or mix in herbs and fruit, maybe even flowers? I'd like to get some opinions on what works and what hasn't. Thank you for responding :)

Comments (20)

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Lavender lass,
    We have very traditional, straight-row gardens dedicated to vegetables. We do this because we have lots of room (9 1/2 acres)and it is easier to till and harvest. We have a little over an acre in vegetables.
    We have three vegetable gardens--two for long season crops like tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc. and one seasonal garden for in-and-out crops like lettuce, broccoli and spinach.
    We mix basil in with our tomato plants, and plant parsley in the seasonal garden. We have two dedicated herb gardens, but we put basil and parsley in wherever they will fit!
    We plant French marigolds to discourage nematodes. Not sure if it works, but we've never had nematodes and we like the look of the marigolds among the vegetables.
    Try to figure out what will work for you, and how much effort and time you will have in the garden. Start small--you can always expand and if you start out with too much gardening can quickly become a chore rather than a pleasure. Just plant what you like to eat, and what is not cheap or easily available at the grocery or farmer's market. Potatoes take a lot of room and are dirt cheap (pun, pun!)to buy. Arugula, on the other hand, is expensive and so easy to grow!
    Good luck with your garden, and I do hope you enjoy every minute and every morsel!

• bsntech
    14 years ago

Hi Lavender -

Unlike marlingardener, I am very limited on my space - I have a 110 x 50 plot with a 42 x 26 foot house and a 24 x 24 foot garage. We then have a forest preserve on the south side of the house so very little space to use.

My gardening type is by using raised beds. I like the raised bed idea for the fact that it is easy to separate the garden from the rest of the yard - and I can make beds on my driveway! Yep, I have two beds sitting right on the driveway and are a foot deep - because there isn't much other space to use.

I typically just plant veggies only - I haven't got into using herbs or even planting flowers in with the veggies. I make use of all the space I possibly can with produce.

The size of my beds are (in feet):

• 20 x 4 (this is sitting in the front yard)

• 16 x 2 (on the driveway)

• 8 x 4 (on the driveway)

• 27 x 4 (behind the garage that only gets about five hours of sunlight a day)

• 20 x 4 (right next to the house - between the garage and the house and gets about five hours of sunlight a day)

I've always dreamed of having a nice 10 acre plot where I could build a house - but I just don't have that kind of income. I'd like to build a 1,000 - square foot house with a basement and have an attached sunroom/greenhouse that is about the same size as the house. I'd then use a combination of wind power and solar and geothermal for heating the house and green house.

The other acreage would be apple/pear/other fruit tree/bush orchard along with an acre garden - then the rest would be used as a vineyard.

I guess we can all have dreams - but that would be one sizable investment.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• ancfan
    14 years ago

Hello Lavender, We have raised beds (no borders) in the summer we plant: tomatoes,corn, summer squash (zucs and crookneck) cuke (Armeania) watermelon, blackeyed peas, okra, sweet and hot peppers and eggplant. In fall we have Brocolli, califlower (white and purple) blue cabbage, brussell sprouts, 3 types of lettuce, radishes, carrots, swiss chard, garlic, shallots, leeks, green onions, and peas. :) We also plant marigolds and flowers to attract the beneficials.

• bsntech
    14 years ago

Woops.. didn't mention the veggies I grow:

• Tomatoes (Best Boy, Roma, Cherry Tomato)

• Peas (Dwarf Gray Sugar)

• Corn (Sugar Dots, Peaches & Cream)

• Lettuce (Simpson Elite)

• Green Beans (Blue Lake 47 and Blue Lake 274)

• Carrots (Burpee A#1)

• Potatoes (Kennebec, Yukon Gold)

• Cucumbers (Marketmore 76, Burpee Pickler)

• Onions (Grown from sets - standard white and yellow)

• Peppers (California Wonder)

I did plant some broccoli (Green Goliath) and cauliflower (Snowball X) this past spring - but I've decided not to plant broccoli or cauliflower any longer due to my space limitations and the amount of produce received from them.

Next year I'll add in some pole beans (Fortex) and grow them up the corn stalks to make use of the most space possible. I also plan to put in some Buttercrunch and a red/maroon variety of leaf lettuce for a bit of color in salads.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• denninmi
    14 years ago

I used to do traditional rows, but found it boring and not really necessary. Now, I'm partial to wide blocks of most crops, along with a lot of interplanting of ornamentals, herbs, etc. Plus, I have this bad habit of allowing volunteers to grow where they will, so I have a lot of wierd "pop ups" -- sunflowers and amaranths growing out of the melons or the sweet potatos, corn or sorghum planted by the chipmunks in the middle of my flower borders, that sort of thing. I really shouldn't, it sort of makes things look messy, but I don't usually have the heart to kill the volunteers nor the time to transplant them.

• pnbrown
    14 years ago

I have space limitations, and like Dennis I tend to let things happen, so my gardens are not very orderly. They do have some sense, though, and a certain amount of wildness is quite attractive.

• obrionusa
    14 years ago

Last year was my first garden and this is what I planted.
    Three pole bean trellis from cattle panel bent into an arch
    Bush beans for my sister to can into ball jars
    Sweet peppers assorted colors
    Hot peppers mild to hot
    Onions. Ohh so sweet candies
    Muskmelon for my Dad, friends and girlfriend
    Tomato, Rutgers
    Cabbage
    Sweet corn
    Potatoes
    Zuchinni
    Cucumbers
    I done a lot of research on here to learn the tricks. But I have to give my father most of the credit. He always had a garden.
    Oh, I got one on him, I planted Asparagus. First patch the family has had.

• luke_oh
    14 years ago

I have 9 raised beds and the traditional straight row veg. garden, 2 each 20x60. I stdarted incorporating annual flowers a couple of years ago and like the contrast. This year my wife will take one of the plots just for cut flowers. I always raise more than we can use and share with anyone willing to pick. My advise is to start with one or two raised beds and take time to prepare the soil. I know of so many people that don't get the soil conditioned and get frustrated with a poor garden. Try whatever you think you think that your family will enjoy eating and stick with those plants and have fun. You can expand your garden from year to year until you get the size that fits your needs. Just don't plant until your soil is ready.

• lantanascape
    14 years ago

At our current house, I have a 20x28' fenced area for my garden, and it has three 4'x12' raised beds, a 3'x12' raised bed, several containers, and three small "hills" that are 2x2' sunken beds that I used last summer to grow squash. There is also a little space between one of the sunken beds and the fence that I use to plant corn in the ground.

We're currently working on buying a new place with a bigger yard, and I'll be taking my experiences with me to plan my new garden.

What I'm planning is a mixture of wide rows and raised beds. My raised beds will be 4x16', and I will have wider paths this time, probably 2.5 or 3'. I only have about 18" paths now, and that makes for some ackward situations. I plan to also have wide rows for the more space-demanding crops, such as corn, potatoes and squash. These will be about 3' wide with 3' paths, and as long as the garden area allows. I think I will use the wide rows for my asparagus beds and cane berries, also. Additionally, I plan to put in 2' wide, extra-raised beds (like 18-24" tall) closest to the house. These will be for strawberries, herbs, and salad greens. The idea is to keep them handy for nipping out from the kitchen to pick for dinner, and also to keep them up away from the slugs. FWIW, I mix flowers and herbs into my veggie beds. I don't know if it repels pests, but I just like the dose of color that they add. I also have a 2x20' flower garden adjacent to my veggie garden, and have it planted with things that attract pollinators. I have noticed an increase in beneficial insects since adding this.

When it comes to raised bed materials, I currently have 2x8" fir boards, which are going on their 4th season with very little rotting. However, for my next garden, I am hoping to put in stained concrete block, with redwood boards on the top, which would be conducive to sitting or kneeling to week and do other tasks.

Lastly, I find that the most key ingredient in my garden's success is steadily building the fertility. I have found a goat farmer that has all the aged manure I want for free. I've put a pickup load into my garden before planting this year, and again in the fall. I also compost scraps and leaves and add those to the soil. It is really rich now, and grows beautiful veggies without any added fertilizers.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

Organic garden in permanent beds, not raised, in permanent mulch--hay, not straw. No tilling ever. Paths are mulched with wood chips. I grow the usual suspects, including corn (Golden bantam), grown in circles of three plants per circle, with the circles staggered up the 4 foot wide beds. Asparagus bed runs N-S along east side; the other beds run E-W. On the North end is a bed of blueberries. Strawberries make up half of one other bed and there's a fig tree at the end of the strawberry section. The soil has improved yearly, the number of plant pests has dropped very low (the garden is near flower gardens and dill flowers throughout the garden, attracting lots of good bugs. Whole thing measures perhaps 25 by 45.

• vtguitargirl
    14 years ago

I started in 2005 with 3 little raised beds (3.5' x 3.5') with cherry tomatoes, cukes and Tall Telephone peas. Each year I've added raised beds with wooden sides. Now I have 270 sq. ft. of raised beds.

My favorite veggies:
    Tomatoes: Jaune Flamme, Prudens Purp., Cherokee Purp, & San Marzano
    Cukes: Marketmore 76 & Lemon
    Beans: Provider, Maxibel
    Dry Beans: King of the Early
    Peas: Tall Telephone
    Asparagus: Purple Passion & Jersey Knight
    Squash: Waltham Butternut
    Peppers: Cubanelle
    Chard: Fordhook, Bright lights & rhubarb
    Potatoes: Kennebec
    Strawberries: unknown variety

Luke's advice about starting small is good! If I had tilled up a plot of land large enough to grow the stuff I did these last two summers, I would have given up the first year!

Also, since you are in zone 4 (like me) I recommend raised beds because they allow the soil to warm up faster in the spring & let you easily control the soil. My veggies are often bigger, healthier & ripen earlier than a lot of veggies that are put in the ground here.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the responses. It's so interesting to see what people grow and how they design their gardens. I appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions to help us finalize the garden!

I don't have a lot of space, so I think I won't get into too much trouble :) My space is 24' x 28' and will have a 2' bed around the edge, inside a fence, with four 4' x 6' beds in the middle. One perimeter bed will be a seating area, with two roses and some potpourri herbs. Another side will be asparagus (purple passion and jersey knight) with alpine strawberries in front as an edger. Thanks vtguitargirl, for giving up a thumbs up on those choices!

The other two sides will be four beds that rotate broccoli, cherry tomatoes with mini-veggies, root vegetables and bush beans. The middle beds will be two for corn with mini-pumpkins and two for climbing beans with potatoes. Very popular choices this year!

The whole garden will have flowers and herbs tucked in with the vegetables, and on the outside (behind the asparagus) I plan to put purple raspberries. There will be two gates, both with arbors for climbing roses and vines. I'm trying to have a pretty garden that has lots of good food and surprises, to keep my nieces and nephews interested in gardening and trying new vegetables. Last year, we tried the purple and green pole beans together and that was a big success :)

Thank you again for all your suggestions.

• luke_oh
    14 years ago

Lavender, One of the great things about gardening is learning as you go. You have the right idea by asking questions and involving your neices and nephews with the garden. My grandchildren know to bring old clothes and boots when they come to Papa's. My 3 oldest grandsons, ages 12 and 10 years old twins, have their own raised beds, some 300 miles from me. We talk gardening all of the time and it gives us a special bond, just like I had with my grandpa and just like you'll have with your neices and nephews.

Luke

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luke- That's so great that you have that bond with your grandsons. I'm really excited to plan the garden with my nephew and nieces in mind. It makes the garden more fun (I think) and I've been trying to include some fun things for them...like the cherry tomatoes and mini vegetables. I think the girls, especially, will like those. My nephew is looking forward to helping in the "big" garden, so I'm trying to include all his favorite vegetables and a few he hasn't tried :)

It also seems to make it more fun for the kids (and me) to include the flowers and herbs in with the garden. We not only have the raspberries, but will be adding a few more apple trees and maybe some cherries. I also hope to put some grapes in, but I have to find a good spot where they can get plenty of support. I'd love to build an arbor, but I don't know if that's in the budget. I do have a good friend, who is a contractor, so maybe he can give me some ideas.

LL

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for all your advice and comments :)

Since I last wrote, I've had a major change in garden space. My wonderful husband moved the horse corral and the electric fence back about 75' and I now have a much better space for my garden...with amazing soil, as you might imagine! (LOL) There still has to be access to the horses and the water pump, so the whole thing is not garden, but I'll have a space roughly 30' x 40' plus room along the outside of the fence.

I debated about putting in a big garden, but remembered what you all said about starting small. Instead, I'm going to put in a kithcen garden, with a 30" deep perimeter bed along the inside of the fence. There are two middle beds, one 11' x 14' and one 7' x 14'.

The larger bed will be veggies this year for my nephew (bean teepee and watermelons) with some other things tucked in. Next year (or as soon as budget allows) I hope that will be the grape arbor with dining table and chairs. This is the best view on our property, so I really want to combine entertainment area with garden space.

The smaller bed (which is not on the view side) will have three metal arches with a few feet in between each one, but kind of making a tunnel. This is for cherry tomatoes, pole beans, mini-pumpkins, etc. At the end of the tunnel, there will be a little seating area for the kids, with an arbor over it for gourds.

I really want to make this garden child friendly, especially for the nieces and nephews under 10. I have a little Peter Rabbit garden full of miniature vegetables planned for the perimeter bed by their tunnel garden. The rest of the perimeter beds are for peas, salad veggies, small root vegetables, herbs, flowers, etc. Also (thanks to suggestions on this forum) I'm putting in a little hopscotch area with stepping stones set in the lawn path in the kids area, between the arch tunnel and their seating area. It's kind of hidden from the rest of the garden, so I think they'll like it. One niece also wants alpine strawberries somewhere in the garden.

The space I was planning for the kitchen garden will soon be a 20' x 20' space for larger vegetables, such as corn, potatoes, pumpkins, squash, broccoli, more beans and some bigger root vegetables. If I decide to grow more vegetables than what I can eat during the summer, I have another space behind the old farmhouse that could be a really big garden in the future. Right now, this is all I can manage! The kitchen garden has wide grass paths and lots of space for the kids to play and garden. The other vegetable garden (my nephew calls it the "corn" garden) is more for the older kids and myself and will not be used as much by the little ones.

Oh, almost forgot, across from the "corn" garden, I'm going to have a big bed against the west side of the house for tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc. that take a lot of heat. I'll also have some mediterranean herbs and flowers thrown in too. It should be a lot...

• timbersmith
    14 years ago

My garden last year was a couple large clay pots on the patio (4 14" and 4 12") planted with peppers (hot and sweet) and marigolds. The marigolds did great, the peppers not so much (mainly because I planted the larger pots with 1 pepper and 1 marigold plant each, so the marigolds crowded out the peppers). I even had a drip irrigation setup to help keep things watered which worked extremely well.

This year I'm going to do the same setup (large pots, but 1 plant per pot except where the plants will stay small like radishes and lettuce) because I still don't know where I would put the real garden. I've got the space for it, but I've also got a lot of predators around and no fence or control means at the moment which is why I've kept it simple so far. When I do put the garden in, it'll be 2 4' x 4' raised beds (It's just me, so don't need a lot of space) using concrete blocks for the borders - cheap, easy to layout, and I can plant companion flowers and herbs in the holes to discourage the rabbits and such.

I would like to add some fruit like blackberries or elderberries, but again choosing the location is the issue. I've got this nice little strip of grass and landscaping on the west side of my house (between the house and driveway) which is looking like the preferred area to use (no water at the moment, but extremely easy to add a spigot vs snaking something to the back 40, as well as a downspout that could be used for rainwater collection), so maybe I'll tear into it once my plans have solidified.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    14 years ago

I have a badly neglected garden! I've spent a lot of time the past few summers helping with a school garden. Lavender lass, if you email me through the link on "my page" I'll share some photos of what we have been doing there. I don't see a link on your page or I'd email you. I think you may have seen a few of my photos posted in response to other posts you made. The away-from-home garden is lots of fun....but I really need to spend more time at my home garden this year, too, and see if it can be rescued :)

• mastergarder2003
    14 years ago

WE compost and build added soil each fall mix in in spring,little tilling as possable.WE plant in Rows,but rotate crops, I log each year and pencil idea's down,WE always have tomatoes, love heirloom, Krim,morgage lifters, unusual varitys for taste and looks. love swish chard,rainbow lights,kholrabi white and purple also. Lettuc all kinds,Spinach,Broc,Cukes on ladder,sugar babys sometimes on black holes plastic, or pumpkings. Peppers all kinds in between areas. Rhubarb, Potaotes, kennebec or red Pontiac's. Love to put thing is the Local Fair for prizes so always looking for cool looking things.This yr will be on the Garden tour again once in 2003 for Mastergarders so will look for bright things to see, like Kholrabi,lettuc,chard,pepper with lots of color. hight like Broc. cukes unusual. Currents ,GARlic for insect deturents daffidil on edge,rhubarb

• jenandwya
    9 years ago

I have 6 rows, each are 3X13 ft. One row has a wire tunnel over it for cukes to vine on one side and green beans to vine on the other. Will put corn, tomatoes, zukes and squash, carrots dispersed properly over the other rows. raspberry and blackberry bushes in the corner. And a bag of compost/worm castings to throw off to the side and stick some watermelon seedlings in there to vine out away from my rows. Have 2, 1x13 ft beds off to the side for wildflowers to feed the honey bees so they will pollinate my garden. No raised beds. Have a, 18 ft lettuce bed with radishes in it as well. And a little 4 ft herb bed