Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

What are the Differences of All the Jersey Asparagus?

There are several different hybrid "Jersey" asparagus varieties, Jersey Knight, Jersey Supreme, Jersey Giant, Jersey Prince, may be more.

What are the differences among them. Are they pretty much the same thing?

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Basically days to maturity and climate tolerances - cool, temperate, warm.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Walker Farms - Jersey Crowns

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

I think the "Jersey" designation means they are all-male varieties? Not positive though.

• brookw_gw
    9 years ago

You should also be aware that all-male is still at best 75%. You're still going to get a lot of females. Regardless, they are still far superior to the older strains imo. I actually like Millenium over the Jerseys. The purples are worth having also.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What are the differences of the Jersey's vs. the Millennium?

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After I read the info, still do not see the big differences between them. All asparagus is for cold region. I'm in Zone 6, temperate or cold? I think both. Early or mid season probably does not mean much here, a week difference?

What I want is high yield, robust growth and resistant to diseases.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

What I want is high yield, robust growth and resistant to diseases.

Of course that is what we'd all love to have. But it is growing conditions provided that primarily determine those results, not the variety. While all the Jersey varieties as well as Mellenium and even Purple Passion routinely surpass the old varieties of Martha and Mary Washington they still require good soil, proper spacing, sufficient and timely nutrient and water support, and careful pest control.

Disease issues are not all that common with asparagus but none of them have any "resistance". The best you can hope for is some tolerance for the common fungus issues of rust and fusarium that exist in all soils and as with most fungus diseases, weather is the enemy we have to contend with there, not the variety.

All asparagus is for cold region.

Not sure why you feel that way as the vast majority of crop production is found in the southern climes, even as far south as Mexico and South America. But I'd agree that the DTM means little for the average home grower and is only important for the commercial or market grower.

Bottom line, the choice of variety is yours so why not consider a mix of varieties just as many home growers do?

Dave

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

I planted about 20 feet of one of the Jerseys at least 12 years ago and they are all male; I've never had a single seedling.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

I planted about 20 feet of one of the Jerseys at least 12 years ago and they are all male; I've never had a single seedling.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

I can say I appreciate the information on the Mellenium variety. I have some of the Jersey varieties and will be preparing a new bed and was considering the Mellenium. The fact it is slightly later is a plus for me as my spears often get nipped by late frost.

• Dennis Bouscal
    8 years ago

I have 2 boxes(4 x 16) of 4 yr old Martha and Jersey. Some have died some are doing great. I am about to order replacements so I reading more about Mellenium . My problem since yr 2 has been the beetle. I was not prepared for their first appearance in yr 2 so they pretty much had teir way with me. Not so bad this year as I stayed on top of them, still, they were bad. Any suggestions for vombatting these beggars. I have both type, the Common were and worst, only a dozen or so Spotted. Has anyone found an effective way to get rid of these buggers, other than hand picking.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have used Pyrethrin if they get out of control but only after the harvest season has finished. If they show up while I am still harvesting I flick them into a bucket-o-water.