Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny bugs IN brussels sprouts?

Posted by ecziemer Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 18:33

I've been a lurker here for years--usually someone has asked my question and I'm good to go. But, I can't find an answer this time, so I have to post myself!

We're starting to eat our brussels sprouts and as I was cleaning them I discovered that there are tiny tiny black bugs deep in the sprouts. And what appear to be empty egg cases. So far one plant is more infested than the others. Definitely not aphids. Something else.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!!

Evin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny bugs IN brussels sprouts?

Pictures would help us.

Still suspect aphids. They come in varying sizes and colors.

o

I'll get pictures. Less than 1mm long, very skinny.

o

Just a guess, but sometimes onion thrips will move to cabbage crops in the fall. But you wouldn't see egg cases because of their small size. More likely those egg cases are vacated cocoons -- the evidence of earlier work by predatory flies or wasps.

All the creatures in my b sprouts are aphids. The stressed plants always have more than the happy ones.

o

There are some videos that may be relevant. Google ~ how to remove bugs cooking "brussel sprouts" ~

(Google don't seem to care if we call them brussel sprouts or brussels sprouts.)

o

The couple of times I tried BS, they were over run by aphids!
The guys that I work with in the organic produce dept at an organic grocery store said that THEY don't even buy the organic BS, cause they are always so over run with aphids!
My first try, I wasn't wearing my glasses out into the garden and didn't see them til someone mentioned them, the second time, I wore my glasses out there every time and sprayed them every other day with a strong spray of water, and they were still too infested for me to stomach!
BS are one thing I have given up on. Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here