Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecziemer

tiny bugs IN brussels sprouts?

ecziemer
11 years ago

I've been a lurker here for years--usually someone has asked my question and I'm good to go. But, I can't find an answer this time, so I have to post myself!

We're starting to eat our brussels sprouts and as I was cleaning them I discovered that there are tiny tiny black bugs deep in the sprouts. And what appear to be empty egg cases. So far one plant is more infested than the others. Definitely not aphids. Something else.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!!

Evin

Comments (9)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Pictures would help us.

Still suspect aphids. They come in varying sizes and colors.

• ecziemer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll get pictures. Less than 1mm long, very skinny.

• planatus
    11 years ago

Just a guess, but sometimes onion thrips will move to cabbage crops in the fall. But you wouldn't see egg cases because of their small size. More likely those egg cases are vacated cocoons -- the evidence of earlier work by predatory flies or wasps.

All the creatures in my b sprouts are aphids. The stressed plants always have more than the happy ones.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

There are some videos that may be relevant. Google ~ how to remove bugs cooking "brussel sprouts" ~

(Google don't seem to care if we call them brussel sprouts or brussels sprouts.)

• nancyjane_gardener
    11 years ago

The couple of times I tried BS, they were over run by aphids!
    The guys that I work with in the organic produce dept at an organic grocery store said that THEY don't even buy the organic BS, cause they are always so over run with aphids!
    My first try, I wasn't wearing my glasses out into the garden and didn't see them til someone mentioned them, the second time, I wore my glasses out there every time and sprayed them every other day with a strong spray of water, and they were still too infested for me to stomach!
    BS are one thing I have given up on. Nancy

• spalady2605
    4 years ago

every time I cook Brussels sprouts in my oven I get black flies come into my house. it's crazy where are they coming from,? I live in Florida.

• robert567
    4 years ago

Not surprising that flies are attracted to that smell. I gave up on growing them, thousands of aphids having a nonstop aphid party all late summer into autumn.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We're starting to eat our brussels sprouts and as I was cleaning them I discovered that there are tiny tiny black bugs deep in the sprouts.

Are you certain the black things are "bugs"? I planted BSs for the first time in a long time this year and found tiny black specks all over in the nooks and crannies around the "balls". They turned out to be tiny turds from asst looper type "worms" which were eating on the top leaves while leaving their poop behind. The egg sacks may be from the "loopers"? Just guessing without a pic though.

• Sandie Speake
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My granddaughter just picked the most beautiful bunch of brussel Sprouts ever ,.,,as we were washing them and taking that outside leaf's off just inside and inside a sprout cut in half are these tiny black empty egg like clusters ,,...,.a ranch 25 mi away or so has just discovered the same clusters of tiny specks in hers also EVERY ONE HAS THESE,.,,,