Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jctsai8b

List of Powerful Foods to Lower Cholesterol: 12 Good Cholesterol

jctsai8b
10 years ago

http://www.cholesterol-loweringfoods.org/foods-to-lower-cholesterol/

We can grow Garlic, Eggplants, Spinach, beans.

I have grown lots of garlic now, garlic spray is a good organic pest control too.

Comments (19)

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing.

• glib
    10 years ago

lord, this guy cuts and pastes from yahoo, or some such.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

I almost wanted to scold you for spam, but there is actually decent info here. Spam can be very harmful if it focuses on false statements possibly harming the people who followed. But, spam that merely tells you to eat fruits and vegetables, its still spam, but not very harmful. Still, i advise the original poster to stop postings several threads with the same subject. Instead, just post on thread. It also helps to be in the appropriate topic. It also wouldn't hurt to discuss your findings with other posters.

I also make a garlic spray and it works wonders for just about everything from aphids to deer repellent! Just crush garlic, let it ferment in a gal of water, strain debris, spray garlic solution.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There is another point about these threads , trying to make SOME people REALY believe that you can reduce your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol with fruits, herbs and vegetables.
    Fruits, herbs and vegetable, have some EFFECT in HELPing to lower those things but in NO WAY they are being near a cure.

No doubt a good healthy diet is good, along with some physical activity, stress reduction and preventive measures.
    In my opinion, believing in finding cure for all illnesses, cancer, etc in herbs, veggies, fruits is just a false hope and often mythical. This is not to deny their benefits.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, TO ALL.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

The implication is that one can grow ordinary garlic to a large clove size in florida - I thought garlic was photo-period sensitive, but maybe not. Certainly florida summer is too hot and humid for typical garlic cultivars, so it would need to make heads in april/may.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Seems logical enough to me that someone makes a new thread for each different focus: blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol. And cutting and pasting happens all the time here, what's the big deal? Merry Christmas!

• glib
    10 years ago

PN, there are tropical garlic types, grown in Mexico, Guatemala and Brazil (and surely everywhere else in the tropics). not a friend of these lists, but sure that people raised on a healthy diet can be free of heart disease. It happened to a number of traditional societies, with diets from carnivore to near vegetarian. Never mind cholesterol, since its association with heart disease is questionable at best.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Glib, I would certainly like to get hold of one of those cultivars and see if I can get it to naturalize in central florida. I have an elephant garlic there and some other perennial allium types supposed to be adapted to long hot summer that I set out last february. I'll update here on their progress before long.

• glib
    10 years ago

Do you think Japanese varieties would do for you (about 36N latitude)? I can get you some.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Seems logical enough to me that someone makes a new thread for each different focus: blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol. And cutting and pasting happens all the time here, what's the big deal?

Perhaps but copy and pasting relevant info is one thing. How are either of these discussions relevant to this forum's topic?

One has to ask what the point of the posts is when the info is readily available to all with a simple search is they want that sort of information.

Dave

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I think my florida place is about 24-25 latitude, so maybe too big a gap?

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Dave, 99% of what gets passed along to new people here is simple information available all over the web, easily found with a simple search. If availability of information elsewhere is going to determine whether someone is allowed to use GW without criticism then the site should just be shut down. If this person's interest in gardening is to further their health and they wish to share it here so be it. If you don't want to be part of the discussion, don't post. And since when do existing members of GW vet whether someone's interests are "good enough"?

I should think the point of the post is obvious. The last sentence says "we can grow garlic, spinach, eggplant, and beans" (off of that list). Those are vegetables, this IS the vegetable gardening forum. Not everything here has to be a question and answer session.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

An indication of the quality of the site is that the illustration of 'Cranberries' is labelled 'Cranberries on Tree'. Cranberries don't grow on trees and the photo shows Crab Apples.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Seriously? You look to find one picture that is mislabled and judge the information as worthless? I guess no one had better follow any of the information on the University of Maryland Cooperative Extension site, I've seen multiple things mislabled in photos there. Their info must be crap too. Oh, wait.

I see nothing wrong on that list, nor the information presented except maybe that it is trying too hard to be accessible. But then again I've been educating myself on the scientifically documented health benefits from plants since my early 20s.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I understand what you are saying sunnibel but the point was never "good enough". It was relevance to this forum. And any member is free to express comments on inappropriate use of the forums at any time.

The forum focus is well defined: This forum is for the discussion of issues involved in the growing of vegetables--choosing varieties, methods of planting, maintaining plants, etc.

The focus here is growing vegetables, vegetable gardening. It isn't a health forum, it isn't a healthy eating forum, it isn't a natural health food website or a medical forum. Those exist in great numbers but this isn't one of them. So since you clearly share this individuals interest in these topics, why not go discuss those issues on those forums where it is appropriate rather than here?

Not only do relevant topic discussions get bumped off the forum with each of these posts but someone new to the forum looks at the front page and sees all these posts on controlling your cholesterol, diabetes, and lowering your blood pressure, etc. rather than posts about vegetable gardening.

And if quality and accuracy of of the linked websites posted, as Flora mentioned, isn't relevant, then what is?

Dave

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

It does seem like the OP has some agenda that isn't merely about growing vegetables.

And I think Dave makes a good point that the header of this thread is likely very off-putting to someone looking at this forum for the first time. We should let this thread fall off.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

sunnibel - firstly, I didn't 'look to find' - it was a blatant error right there on the first page. Nor did I say I judged the information worthless. I said that the inclusion of incorrect information undermines the standing of the site. The implication of incorrect plant ids is that the person who wrote the information does not have first hand knowledge of what they are talking about. Even if the information is actually correct this fact makes it potentially suspect.

If the Maryland Cooperative Extension Site is also posting incorrectly identified pictures then, yes, it too needs to be viewed with a modicum of healthy reservation. I hope you contacted them to point out the errors so they could improve their site.

Nobody is casting doubt upon the value of eating a wide range of fruits and vegetables. But the OP's posts are pretty tangential to 'discussion of issues involved in the growing of vegetables--choosing varieties, methods of planting, maintaining plants, etc' which is the avowed intention of this forum.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

This is my first post in this forum. We purchased 1.5 acres of land and we finally have room to grow veggies and all kinds of edible things.

I read this thread because my doc says my cholesterol is too high. He has me on meds, but I was interested in knowing how to eat foods that could assist in lowering it.

I always plant cloves of garlic that have started sprouting. They grow fine in Southern California. The problem is drying them once they form bulbs. I've had workers steal them when I twisted them in the Bougainvillaeas to dry! That won't happen at the new place! The only folks working are hubby and me.

I'm having fun reading this forum and am learning from all the comments. I just ordered $21.00 worth of seeds, and hope to start planting soon.

Suzi

• glib
    10 years ago

so, this is a list off the internet, where cranberries and crabapples can not be distinguished, and no reference to papers. even if there were references, they would be tests on people eating a Standard American Diet (SAD), who may or may not have anything to do with the subset of people having large gardens.

Here is a compendium of cholesterol blog posts by a Univ. Washington nutrition researcher

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.it/search/label/cholesterol
    (note in particular the first. you can find similar studies by the WHO on the web)

And one about an island where people smoke and have high cholesterol, resulting in the total absence of heart attacks

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.it/2008/08/cardiovascular-risk-factors-on-kitava_14.html

how can you not complain about these inane posts?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus