Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aclum

Veggies by Chain Link Dog Enclosure - Toxicity??

aclum
16 years ago

Hi,

A bit of quick background.... We have a very nice lawn area about 60 x 40 with a few trees off our patio that we've enclosed with a 5' high chain link fence. This is to provide a nice area for the dogs as well as a "lawn vista" of sorts from the patio. I'm planning my veggie gardens - mainly raised beds - outside the chain link but within our regular wood fence. I'm planning on approximately 50 LF of 1-1/2 to 2' wide veggie beds right outside the chain link.

(In addition to other beds).

I was surfing garden web and on some forum (can't recall which), I was reading a nice thread on Scarlet Runner Beans. I'd been planning to plant some Scarlet Runners just outside the chain link to have pretty flowers to help disguise the chain link as well as provide some good eating.

Then I read in the aforementioned thread that raw scarlet runner beans (like fava beans) can be toxic in some people - and I assume also dogs. I KNOW my dogs are going to try to eat anything that pops through the chain link, so I guess I'll have to put the scarlet runners someplace else.

I'm also planning to have eggplants and peppers (along with flowers) in the beds along the fence. I know these CAN be toxic to dogs, but I think I can keep these far enough from the chain link so that they're not a problem (or if the leaves poke into the chain link maybe just put up some plastic drop cloth type of a barrier going up about 2 feet.

I know to keep dogs away from potatoes, onions, and the nightshades, but the beans were a surprise to me! Anything else toxic to dogs that I should be aware of in planting next to the chain link? (I've read most of the online list of plants toxic to dogs on the web - but had never seen the beans mentioned). (I hope sweet peas are OK!).

Thanks,

Anne

Comments (11)

• cambse
    16 years ago

These are things I know of.
    Seeded grapes - The seeds are toxic.
    Mushrooms in your lawn grass - some may be toxic.
    Persimmons - seeds
    I also have a list provided by my vet:
    A-B

Aloe Vera
    Amaryllis
    Apple (seeds)
    Apricot (pit)
    Arrowhead
    Asparagus Fern
    Avocado
    Autumn Crocus
    Azalea

Baneberry
    Begonia
    Bird of Paradise
    Black Locust
    Black Walnut
    Bleeding Heart
    Boston Ivy

C

Caladium
    California Poppy
    Calla Lily
    Carnation
    Castor Bean
    Ceriman
    Cherry (seeds, wilting leaves, and pit)
    Chinese Evergreen
    Chives
    Christmas Rose
    Chrysanthemum
    Clematis
    Corn Plant
    Crocus
    Croton
    Crown of Thorns
    Crown Vetch
    Cyclamen

D-F

Daffodil
    Delphinium
    Devil's Ivy
    Dicentra
    Dieffenbachia
    Donkey Tail
    Dumb Cane
    Dutchman's Breeches

Easter Lily
    Elderberry
    Elephant Ears
    English Ivy
    Eucalyptus

Fiddle-leaf Fig
    Florida Beauty
    Four O'Clock
    Foxglove
    Foxtail
    Fruit Salad Plant

G-I

German Ivy
    Gladiola

Hemlock
    Holly
    Honeysuckle
    Hurricane Plant
    Hyacinth
    Hydrangea

Iris
    Ivy

J-L

Jack in the Pulpit
    Japanese Yew
    Jerusalem Cherry
    Jimson Weed
    Jonquil

Kalanchoe

Lamb's quarter
    Lantana
    Larkspur
    Laurel
    Lily
    Lily of the Valley
    Lobelia
    Locoweed
    Lords-and-Ladies
    Lupine

M-N

Marigold (Marsh Marigold)
    Marijuana
    Mayapple
    Mexican Breadfruit
    Milkweed
    Mistletoe
    Monkshood
    Morning Glory
    Mother-in-Law plant
    Mother-in-Law's Tongue
    Mountain Laurel
    Mushrooms

Narcissus
    Nephthytis
    Nightshade

O-P

Oak Tree (buds and acorns)
    Oleander
    Onion

Peace Lily
    Peach (wilting leaves and pits)
    Pencil Tree
    Philodendron
    Pigweed
    Poinsettia
    Poison Ivy
    Poison Hemlock
    Poison Oak
    Poison Sumac
    Poppy
    Potato (all green parts)
    Pothos
    Precatory Bean

Q-S

Rhododendron
    Rhubarb
    Ribbon Cactus
    Rubber Tree

Sago Palm
    Schefflera
    Shamrock Plant
    Snake Plant
    Snow on the Mountain
    Sorghum
    Star of Bethlehem
    Stinging Nettle
    Stinkweed
    Swiss Cheese Plant

T-V

Taro Vine
    Toadstools
    Tobacco
    Tomato Plant (entire plant except ripe fruit)

Umbrella Tree

W-Z

Water Hemlock
    Weeping Fig
    Wisteria

Yew

Hope this helps.

Carole

• aclum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Carole,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all of that!! Actually, I have seen this list before and you'll note no mention of beans at all. So I was just wondering if there might be any other "surprises" that might not be on the usual lists.

On the Scarlet Runner Bean thread I mentioned, it seemed like some people had no problems and some others had reactions that sent them to the ER. I've read similar things about raw fava beans and apparently there's a genetic basis for this, but can't recall the details now. (Some ethnic groups have the reaction and others don't).
    I imagine the same applies to some of the plants in your vet's list. At our old house, our dogs would always grab any avocado that fell from the tree during the night and eat everything but the pit with no ill effects. However, I don't want to take any chances in my new gardens! I also note that eggplant and peppers (in the nightshade family) aren't listed in the vet's list - so maybe they're safe in the areas I mentioned.

Again, thanks for your post!

Anne

• eliott
    16 years ago

Beans in the family Phaseolus Vulgaris contain a chemical called Phytohaemagglutinin. If you cook it, the chemical is released and poses no threat. Raw, it's pretty nasty. In humans, eating small amounts of it via raw beans isn't usually fatal (from what I know, so don't read this, eat some raw beans then sue me when you die or get deathly ill), but even eating a small dose can cause some serious sickness like vomiting and general malaise and all. It's not usually fatal in humans unless larger amounts are consumed, but it's still dangerous enough to where I wouldn't eat raw beans.

It's dangerous though to most animals, not just humans. So, a dog would be just as likely to get it, if not more likely, as a human.

• aclum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Eliot,

Thanks for the post! Very informative. I'm off to google now to try and find out just which beans are in the Phaseolus Vulgaris category.

Anne

• aclum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Again,

Did a bit of "research" and came up with this (among other things):
    --------------------
    The major categories of beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) are:

Field, dry, or agronomic beans:
    The pod walls are thin, fibrous, tough, inedible, dehisce more readily.
    The dried seeds retain shape when cooked.
    Green, snap, string, or French beans:
    The pod walls are fleshy, edible, have little fiber, dehisce poorly.
    The dried seeds do not retain shape when cooked.
    Dual purpose or horticultural beans:
    The pods are fairly fleshy and generally edible.
    the dried seeds may be cooked and typically retain shape fairly well.
    Other "Beans" include:

Runner Beans (Phaseolus coccineus)

Lima Beans (Phaseolus lunatus)

"Butterbeans" (Phaseolus lunatus) is a term used for certain small, flat seeded lima beans. There is no separate botanical classification for a butterbean. It is basically a description of the way that they are prepared for cooking. Whereas most limas are grown to the dry stage, butterbeans are shelled fresh while in the late green stage, cooked and buttered.

Fava beans (Vicia faba) are not from the same family as other beans (Phaseolus). Their origin is reportedly the Mediterranean region and their history dates back to at least Biblical times. Favas are commonly known to Middle Eastern, Greek and Italian cooking.

Hyacinth Beans (Dolichos Lablab) - Grown for ornament.

Castor Beans (Ricinis communis) - Grown for ornament. Highly toxic.
    ------------------

Apparently the runner and fava beans aren't in the vulgaris species. OTOH, the vulargis species include regular snap bean which seem to been somewhat commonly eaten raw in the garden or lightly blanched before eating (I - as well as my dogs - have eaten many raw green snap beans with no ill effect). So I'm a bit confused. Guess I need to look into it some more. In the meantime, I guess I'll grow ALL of my beans on teepees in the regular beds rather than tempt fate by placing them up against the chain link.

Anne

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

Sweet peas (Lathyrus odoratus)are toxic to humans (seeds) so I doubt that they would be good for dogs. As for runner beans (Phaseolus coccineus) vs common beans ( Phaseolus vulgaris) There is still a debate as to their relative toxicity. It is not recommended that either be eaten raw, although some folks do with no major ill effects. In my youth runner beans were grown purely as ornamentals, but lots of folks eat them.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Other than the toxicity issues you'll also want to keep in mind that garden areas attract insects and varmints. Both could pose problems for the dogs. And you'll also have possible problems with pet excrement contamination problems.

Consider moving the garden areas to the wood fence area and away from the pet enclosure. Or another alternative is container gardening that would allow for placement further away from the enclosure. Carefully arranged containers can be quite attractive and easily more productive than a 1-2 foot wide area. Plus you won't have the weeding problems. ;)

Dave

• aclum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Dave,

You made some very good points (that hadn't occurred to me)!
    I think I will take your advice and abandon planting right up against the fence. I've had dogs with severe allergic reactions to spider and bee stings, so probably not the best idea to be attracting bees, etc. so close to where the dogs are. One of my dogs is intensely curious about the cardboard I have laid next to the fence now and has been sort of pawing at it, so I think I might also be inviting them to start digging under the chain link if I have plants so close.

So back to the drawing board for at least part of the garden. I think I need to take a closer look at interplanting and succession planting to make more efficient use of the remaining beds - which is probably a good thing :).

Thanks!
    Anne

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    16 years ago

I have beans and other things in my garden. A neighbor's dog scouts the area. I will give credit to most animals to have incredible instincts concerning poisonous vegetation. Sure, there are a few that might error. Cats cooped up indoors and dogs with little freedom are probably more likely to nibble on plants that they shouldn't.

• dangould
    16 years ago

When I read the topic I thought you were concerned about poisoning humans from the dog contamination. Although in an open field it is probably somewhat safe to allow a dog to run on a farm. I would not grow my veggies next to a dog kennel.

Safe manures come from animals that eat veggies or grass and no meat. Rabbits, chickens, cows, sheep etc. unsafe manures come from animals that eat meats. so dogs are not considered real safe. Pathogens can grow that are harmful to humans. Since this is going to be a permanent site, I would keep a safe distance from the dogs. I would try to avoid the roots of the plants growing under the dog pens. Tomato plants can have long roots along the surface. the soil under a dog pen might build up pathogens. However, I would not be concerned if my dog runs through the veggie patch.

I know people who fertilize with hog manure which is not suppose to be safe but never have a problem. I have read that some oriental countries have used human waste which is very unsafe. But you are on your own here. Maybe you can find something on the internet and can report it back here.

I was told that raisins which are grapes with the seeds removed are not good for dogs either. also chocolate is not good for dogs.

I have dogs and if I find a dog poop in the garden I remove it with a shovel. I find very few poops in the garden. Maybe I am lucky. I never use dog poop as a manure for the garden.

• Jennifer Beth Parish White
    last year

Anne, I have eaten and fed raw French pole beans to my dogs without incident. My understanding, is the reason they are okay to eat raw is because you eat them before the beans in the pods have matured.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts