Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A good bush type melon

Posted by novagrdnr7a none (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 20:14

I'm looking to conserve some space in my garden this coming season and so was looking to try a bush variety cantaloupe. Burpee's Honey Bun gets poor reviews and another I am considering is Green Machine. If anyone can offer an opinion on those or any others with which you've had success, thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A good bush type melon

Minnesota Midget is an early maturing cantaloupe. It has short vines, and is compact. The melons are smaller though; what size with weight are you looking for with cantaloupe?

Minnesota Midget also fares well with cool climates; I plan to order seeds for it. If you'd like a packet please e-mail me @ Jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com

o

Sleeping Beauty gets my vote.

o

Thanks for your replies and your offer kawaiineko. I'm not sure about the size I'm looking for, maybe something 4-5 inches and in the 2-3 pound range but with shorter vines that won't trail all over and interfere with my other plantings. Green Machine from Baker Creek Seeds is one I'm strongly considering.

o

Green machine is a nice little cantaloupe in the Netted Gem class. The green flesh can be excellent, but some times when conditions are not right can be dissapointing. Minnesota Midget has amore conventional cantaloupe taste also a good little melon. There are bushier types available including Honey Bun, Bush Star. These are hybrids.I know little about Sleeping Beauty except that it is compact, very small ( under 1 lb) and was developed by Merlyn Niedens who also developed Green Machine, Golden Jenny,Sweet Passion,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here