Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you ever grown these melons?

Posted by runswithscissors (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 21:48

I ordered many heirloom seeds from Baker's...mostly to experiment. But finding information about the individual variety is difficult going. Mainly I'm looking for specific characteristics, such as vigorous grower, vs compact. prone to bugs, not very happy on the ground, needs a trellis, dropped it melons, melons cracked, leaves wilty, tastess like cotton candy, tastes like the chicken house, ect. ect.

Kansas
Oka
Valencia Winter
Bidwell Casaba
Gurney's Giant (for fun)
Ananas D'Amerique
Pear - (not the pepper also nicknamed Pear Melon)

Thanks so much for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you ever grown these melons?

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 10:33

I haven't but did you check the Baker Creek website? They have customer ratings and comments for all their seeds. A lot of varieties have no comments though and you should probably take them all with a grain of salt, but it might be a good starting point.

o

And if you Google each by name you all kinds of specific information on it - reviews, growing habits, etc.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Bidwell Casaba

o

Yes, I consulted the Baker Creek discriptions but they are very vague and mostly report on the origin of the seed. Googling the individual varieties was a bust for most of them, as most websites reguritate Baker Creek's discription verbatum, or less.

Maybe I should call them...but I'm afraid I'll get the receptionist who places orders not grows them, and I hate to bug people.

o

I would probably choose some different varieties. Susan Healy is excellent. Anne Arundel is a good green flesh melon. If you can live with hybrids, Ambrosia is hard to beat.

Gurney's Giant is finicky, does not like my weather. Pear is thin flesh. Oka does better in a cooler climate. I have only found one decent winter melon.

DarJones

o

Googling the individual varieties was a bust for most of them, as most websites reguritate Baker Creek's discription verbatum, or less.

That depends on which of the listed sites you choose to look at. Sure some seed companies may do that but not grower sites. Just a couple of examples.

Bidwell Casaba

Ananas

Of course there is also D...'sgarden discussions we can't link here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Heirloom Plants forum discussion on various melon varieties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here