Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i am getting ready

Posted by foolishpleasure 7B (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 21:51

Just ordered the seed starting system from park seed.it is a mini greenhouse . it has 40 cells. i opted for the 40 cells because individually bigger than the 60 cells unit. The top is 4 1/2 inch. but when my seedlings are 4 inches i transfer them to individual pots and let them grow. Last year I had flowers on the tomato and pepper plants before i transferred them to the garden. But don't do that to summer squash, cucumber and watermelons and the cantaloupe because it is a pain in the AZ. I know it is early but I am itching to care for the little ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i am getting ready

As is often discussed on the Growing from Seed forum the domes, the mini-greenhouse tops, are supposed to be removed immediately after germination. Leaving seedlings to grow under those domes prevents adequate air circulation and usually leads to damp-off and other fungal disease problems.

The purpose of the domes is only to keep the soil moist enough for germination. Even then it isn't required for any reason.

Dave

o

Good advice, Dave.

Jim

o

I leave them to sprout under the dome and at about 2 inches I take them out of the dome system to individual pots. My experience is that the dome helps having normal seedlings not the leggy ones. Because my season in zone 7 is so short I start early and when the time to take tem out they are real plants some with flowers. I am sure some of you like me are itching to start the garden fun. I already bought so much tools probably I am not going to need all of it. I bought a garden scooter with buckets for seeds fertilizers and collecting fruits and tool rack and a seat so I can set while I am working.
My woman thinks I lost my mind.

o

That is the way I survive the winter is to plan our garden. I just ordered pepper and tomato seeds. One of the peppers I wanted to try is already sold out.
No, you have not lost your mind!

Helen

o

I had that system for a while, and it served it's purpose. However, it became my opinion after a while that Jiffy pot replacements were cheaper than replacement plugs for the Park unit

o

"My woman thinks I lost my mind."

Ha! Welcome to the club...

o

I put a germinating blend in the bottom of one of those domed roasted chicken containers that you get at the grocery store. Add the seeds, sprinkle with water, put the dome on top, and place on that warm spot on the top of your refrigertor or freezer. I also make a small flat out of the Marie Callender steamer containers...keep it watered by pouring water through the hole into the bottom tray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here