Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmarie_

seed company question

LynnMarie_
11 years ago

I have price checked a couple of seed companies online and have decided I like how Gourmet Seed Co looks. I could save some money with them. But I am worried about seed quality. Does anyone have any experience with them?
I am also wondering if anyone has received a catalog from gourmet seed co yet? I ordered one a couple of months ago. I assumed it would come over the winter, so I wasn't worried about it until recently. Now I am thinking I need to order seeds soon! Has anyone received a catalog from them for 2013?

Thank you in advance for the info.

Lynn

Comments (14)

• abnorm
    11 years ago

I like gourmetseed.com....the seed quantities are generous.... my orders have arrived fast and accurate....so far the germination has been good....I'll be ordering from them again.

The seeds I ordered were in Italian origin packageing..... large colorful, rugged, seed envelopes.....generous packet size: 150 tomato seeds...50 eggplant seeds.

doug

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Check them out over on the Rate & Review Vendors forum here. You can also just type the name into the Search bar here and pull up any and all discussions about the company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rate & Review Vendors forum

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

It's been a while since I used them, but I was happy with them. And they do have certain seed you can't find elsewhere. Like Doug said, you can get european varieties from them. Cheers!

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

It has been a while for me also. Actually just about the time they split off from Harvest Moon. They still offer a few European varieties, but have largely gone to North American Op's with an occasional hybrid sprinkled in. Plantscout reviews generally favorable but few of them. Their sister company Italian Seed and Tool vends Bavicchi seeds and has more positive feed back. Grow Italian is the US vendor for Franchi and a large selection of European varieties.

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

They no longer mail out catalogs, fwiw. You can only access the online version.

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I spent the afternoon yesterday online, choosing varieties of each vegetable to buy. It is so difficult! I want to try everything. Suddenly my life seems so short. 40 more years of gardening isn't enough time to get it all in :)
    Thanks to all for your input. I will order online from Gourmetseed.com after I whittle down my choices a bit.

Lynn

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

A suggestion, you may also want to check with your local feed and seed store. Sometimes they stock or can get what you want at much cheaper prices.

Especially with something that you may want larger quantities of. Last spring I called my local one about some pea seed and they said they couldn't get them.

I found them online and paid about $7 a pound plus shipping. I was in the feed and seed about a week later and mentioned to them that they could get them from that company.

Two or three weeks later I stopped in for something else and they had the seed for $3 a pound thanks to my tip!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I agree with wertach that there are much less expensive sources for seeds. There are also numerous sources that offer a much wider variety selection than Gourmetseed.com offers. Their variety choices really are rather limited by comparison.

Dave

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wertach and Dave,
    Okay! That is a great tip- I will check into my local feed and seed. I appreciate the timeliness. I was going to finalize my order tomorrow morning and submit it so I will check that out first. I am looking at about $100 in seed from Gourmetseed. If I can lower that, I will be so happy! Dave, the other sources you refer to- are they the companies mentioned earlier in this thread (Harvest Moon, Italian seed and tool, and Grow Italian)? Is there another you would recommend? I will check out a few more before I make a decision. Thanks everyone for the input.

Lynn

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Lynn there are easily 25 previous discussions, on this forum alone, about favorite seed companies and where to buy seeds. Plus each specialty forum (tomatoes, peppers, growing from seed, beans, etc.) have just as many discussions about their favorites. The search will pull them up for you if you want to read them.

Then there is the Garden Bazaar here and the seed trading forums too.

There are literally 100's of recommended vendors that are often mentioned as a "favorite" or "best" seed source. To name just a few that are frequently recommended:

Pinetree
    Baker Creek
    Victory
    Park's
    Harris
    Johnny's
    Territorial
    Gurney's
    Cook's Garden
    Irish Eyes
    Seed Saver's Exchange
    Tomato Fest
    Tomato Growers.com
    etc.

Which is best all depends on the type of seeds you are looking for.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Bazaar - Seed Vendors

• mamagnome
    11 years ago

I know you already ordered by now but I wanted to chime in on gourmetseed.com I ordered from them last year & was VERY happy with all of my seed. Lots of seeds for a great price & excellent germination rates.

• jclay321
    11 years ago

I'm going to try some seeds from Hudson Valley Seed Library. Was very impressed with their mission to promote heirloom seeds. Met them at the Philadelphia Flower Show last year. I also love their ART PACKS. I'm starting my first vegetable garden and like that they grow the regionally adapted seeds near me in NY state. Hope this ensures success as I can use all the help I can get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hamptons Garden

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

I hit the jackpot yesterday at Big Lots! They had yellow straight neck squash, zucchini, Red Brandywine and sweet 100's toms, yellow granex onion seeds, chives, and more. $1 a pack!

Plenty of seed in each pack too. I started some of them when I got home. I will report back in a few days on germination, they all said packaged for 2012. But I have never had problems with old seed!

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mamagnome,
    I did end up ordering from gourmetseed.com. I am pleased with everything so far. Generous seed counts. The germination on my onions was very poor- but I think its because I buried the seed too deep. I have more sprouting now and so far it looks like the germ rate will be MUCH better. The leeks look wonderful and the rest I am either waiting for it to sprout, or it isn't time to plant yet.

Jclay321 how does a seed library work?

Lynn

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner