Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydrangea729

suggestions for tree replacement: follow-up

Hydrangea729
12 years ago

syed_altaf,

For your replacement tree, I would look into a Japanese red maple. They are gorgeous in the spring and summer with their wine-colored leaves and have spectacular orange and yellow tones in the fall. I think the dark foliage would be a wonderful compliment to your house. They are definitely accent "landscaping" trees and stay smaller: roughly 20-25' x 20-25' making one perfect for the site in question.

Now, for the rest of your landscape, I am going ahead and pushing a red-purple-pink scheme that I think might work well for you. In my accompanying sketch, you will notice a few things...

1) I have removed the roses and the pear tree.

2) I have "planted" the Japanese red maple at the corner

3) Have made some slight contour modifications for your bed areas that will both accent your house and accent your plants

4) Cleared out the area right in front of the patio that leads to your front door. With such a nice, handsome house, I think it is of paramount concern to "clean up" the front facade a bit and bring focus back to the front entry.

Planting Plan

-- 1 Japanese red maple

-- 3 Boxwood evergreen shrubs (the rounded green mounds)

-- 2(3) Red-twig dogwoods (the green squiggles by the tree, one is out of view: red-twig dogwoods are great medium sized shrubs that have bright red stems that shine in the winter snow, they also have white flowers in late spring-early summer)

-- 4 Blushing Knock Out roses (really attractive pale pink, fading to white blooms: stay smaller at about 4' x 4' but can be pruned smaller--will bloom from mid-May to December)

-- 1 Purpleleaf sand cherry (which is in the middle of the pink roses: the sand cherry is a beautiful plant in and of itself but also functions to distract the eye from viewing the blank space in between the two windows and gives some hierarchy to the space)

-- The magenta-swirls near the red-twigs and the maple tree denotes a great area for bright-flowering, shade-friendly annuals such as impatiens or begonias. With this color scheme, I would gravitate towards a mix of whites, light pinks, and reds.

-- Behind and underneath the red maple would be an exceptional place to grow some shade-loving plants like astilbe, hostas, and ferns--depending on your tastes, interests, etc.

So I hope you like the ideas...hopefully they can give you some inspiration for your landscape project!

Image link: