Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph_zone5

Trying to decide what grouping of bulbs/flowers look best

Steph_Zone5
13 years ago

Re-posting this so that I can attach a picture (this is the section described below). I am trying to figure out what grouping of flowers/plants will look the best for some new bulbs I bought. The area: I have a mulch bed that sits all along the front of my deck. It is fairly long and in some places is 2 feet wide and others 6 feet wide (it isn't a straight rectangle, it's more of a wave design). The section where I was thinking of adding the bulbs currently has a few day lilies, that are spaced out from each other and are positioned in the front of the bed. The area also has some shrubs at the back of the bed (in front of the underneath of my deck). I bought Gladiolus pink event (18), Liatris Spicata (10) and a few more day lilies (2). How should I position these? What might look the best? I feel like I have all these different grouping questions, but can't picture any of them. Should I plant these 3 together and if so should I keep them in their little groups, i.e. keep the day lilies together, the liatris together, etc. (a row of Liatris, row of Gladiolus?) Or, what about splitting them and positioning them in 2 spots. As in equal amounts of Gladiolus�s, etc. on each side and in front of a bush or 2, or 1 group on each end, etc.? I feel lost. I�m a semi beginner gardener and I am not sure what might be the best, visually. I can buy more of one of them if the amounts should be different. Or I�m open to planting these separately if you don�t think they would look good together. Maybe putting each in a spot with something other than these 3? Getting another variety of bulb or an annual or a grown perennial when it�s a little warmer, etc. Help, please!

P.S. If recommended that I plant these varieties separately, the other sections of the mulch bed, include a (1) section with euonymus and day lilies (a little more shade here). No bushes here, the deck is low to the ground on this side. (2) Section with Rose Shrubs closest to the deck, Snowberry Bush, and another day lily. There is an open space here, but I felt maybe it should have something lower to the ground, creeping Phlox maybe? The deck is higher off the ground on this side and the bushes that sit at the back of the bed are pretty tall.

Image link:

Comment (1)

• on_greenthumb
    11 years ago

They always say do groups of plants for bigger impact in groups of 3, 5 or 7. Personally, I would try and combine the groups so that you have different types of foliage together (i.e. try and keep the liatris further from the daylilies so you keep the spikey foliage apart, maybe putting the gladiolus between the two groups would be best and try and get your groups into triangles.....So something like this, with A = Daylily, B = Liatris and C = Gladiolus.

A A B B
    A C B
    C C