Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Suggested Plants for Property Line

bobby1973
10 years ago

Hi folks - I'm aware that posting this photo may be a bit premature, but I guess I'm just eager and excited to received suggestions. We're having a new home built in a Maryland suburb and construction is estimated to be completed by December. I'm sure the builder will plop in a few generic evergreens in the ground and call it a day. Dealing with that is a beast that I don't wish to tackle right now because it's way too early. The area that is of most concern to me right now is our side yard to the right of our house and how it meets our neighbor's driveway (actually it's a 'common driveway' that will split and lead to two other homes). I drew a green line on the photo where the property line would fall. I'm not sure if my lawn would directly touch the common driveway or if the builder will lay down some sort of hardscape like Belgium Blocks to delineate the property line. (I actually just emailed the builder that question). Regardless of that outcome though, I'm still thinking that it'll be necessary to plant some sort of species down that property line or partially down that line. I don't want to do anything cheesy like planting a straight row of Arborvitaes down the side of the driveway. And rather than getting down into nitty gritty details like whether that's east or west or full-sun, shade, etc - I'm just looking for something rugged, probably some sort of evergreen, that doesn't need to be babied. I don't think something as tall as trees (Pine, Blue Spruce) is the answer. I'm thinking of something along the lines of 'Otto Luyken English Laurel'. It's about 3' high x 6' wide at maturity and bears flowers to boot. And maybe instead of planting a series of them straight down the property line - maybe instead stagger them down the line? Anyhow, I would love to hear what my fellow plant lovers think would work best. I'm not looking for a plant that will completely shut out our neighbors:) That's not my intention. I just want to create a 'friendly' divider that will add some interest and depth to the property. Thank you so much everyone!

Comments (2)