Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to waterproof raised garden bed wood?

Posted by ainadaliel (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 1:21

So I'm buying some plywood from the hardware store...anyone know how I can treat it so it'll be moisture-proof but at the same time non-toxic to the plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to waterproof raised garden bed wood?

• Posted by manda3 8a DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 9:36

o
RE: How to waterproof raised garden bed wood?

Repurposing a plastic kids swimming pool for a raised bed would not be my first choice for a well-considered garden design :-)

If you are using plywood (again, not my first choice for raised bed construction), make sure you get marine quality or exterior grade plywood - the regular, cheap stuff will not hold up regardless of treatment. And you should be aware that most plywood has glues and other chemicals implanted that would not be considered "organic" or non-toxic with regards to growing veggie crops. There are some 'green' plywood products but they will be pricey.

There are low/no VOC or environmentally friendly wood preservatives on the market and most home improvement centers will carry at least one or two brands. However, they are not necessarily formulated with food safety in mind :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here