Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cthenrys

Help with wet yard

cthenrys
10 years ago

I need some help with what has become recently a very wet suburban yard. I have fescue grass, and I have two problems. First, the house behind mine has a very dense line of leyland cypress that have grown very high since they were planted about 12 years ago. My back yard is facing roughly south so the back 1/3 to 1/2 of my yard now is mostly in shade due to these tall cypress trees. Grass struggles to grow and it stays damp all the time with any rainfall. This past summer was very wet in Atlanta so the ground never really dried out all year.

On top of that, my yard is on a gradual hill and the yard uphill from mine is not maintained very well, and there is now little to no grass in the neighbors yard. This results in a veritable mudslide into my yard when it rains (as it has a lot recently).

I overseeded again as I do every fall this year, but the rear of the yard and the side near the uphill neighbor's yard are almost bare of new growth - i believe largely due to excessive running water.

My question is "What can I do" ? What is the responsibility of my neighbors in that their yards (tall trees, bare soil) are affecting mine ? What actions can I take to restore a grassy lawn ? I have two golden retreivers and I am really getting tired of cleaning muddy paws before letting them in the house...

Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Todd in Acworth, GA

Comments (6)